Just built my PC, nothing coming up on the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible that trying to boot the build with the old PSU damaged new parts? It was on for maybe a half hour total, but we turned it on and off a bunch as we were trying to trouble shoot different things like RAM, Jumper, Connections.

I just want to be prepared if the new PSU comes in but now the new Mobo/Cpu are damaged... Hope not though.

I skimmed all the other reply's as I am late coming to this, so some of this will be repetition, and from what I have read, agree it is probably the MOBO. Anyway, yes, it is possible to damage the PSU by frequently (semi-rapidly) starting and stoping the PSU (I actually fried my first one this way). Also, I am a bit confused on where you guys are right now, but I will try to jump in by covering all the basics.

You mention the keyboard and mouse don't light up, are they USB? If so, I think it may actually be your Motherboard, as the USB are powered ports and they should be getting power.

I had this problem with my first build, however unfortunately I can't remember what was wrong or what I did to resolve it. Do you have an old computer you could hook the monitor up too? If you do that could be a quick resolution for troubleshooting in the way of monitors.

Same goes for the Power Supply, do you have an old computer you can hook it up to?

If that does not work...

Here are a few simple things you can try now.

While I doubt this will resolve this particular problem, try starting the system with only 1 stick of ram in slot 1. If that does not work, try the other stick in the same slot, if it works, one of the sticks of ram is bad, if they both work, than both sticks are good and you should start the system, install the OS, then add in the second stick.

If that step fails continue on

Try taking the graphics card out of the equation. Remove it from the system and just try starting it with the on-board graphics. (If it works that would limit the problems to either the power supply in the way of a bad cable / connections or the graphics card, meaning the card is bad.)

If that fails it is most likely the motherboard or the processor (most likely the motherboard)

If none of those easy fixes work, follow the flow charts below.
If you prefer, you can follow these flow charts found at this site, let me know what your resolution (or lack there of) is.

Guide to Computer Troubleshooting and Repair - PC Troubleshooting Manual

Start with the one on the top right labeled "Video Failure" if that is still your problem, if not start with "PSU" (First one)

Yha, you missed fox his psu, while a decent psu, is 6 yrs old, and only a 20 pin, Not a 24 pin.

Most likely, he isn't getting enough power because of it.

If that is the case, I am 99% sure that is his problem, ran into a similar situation trying to build my server out of scrap parts.

Disregard everything in the last post then ^_^ Thanks for the update.

Fox, thanks a lot for all that info.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm inclined to think it's not the Mobo.

Before I rebuilt the system, I was having the same problem, only I assumed the GPU had gone out because I couldn't get a display. The ONLY part from the old build left in the system is the PSU. And the old Mobo/CPU were working just fine before I took them out.

So I doubt it's the Mobo if the old one worked and the new one is fresh out the box and having the same issue, feel me?

I was not asking if it would damage the PSU :), I was asking if using a DAMAGED PSU can hurt other brand new parts, as all the other parts are brand new.

The keyboard does light up, but only if you push the LOCK buttons. Usually, when the system boots, the LOCK lights will flash on their own. So it is getting power.

I also tried every RAM combo there was, nothing worked.

Really inclined to think it's the old PSU man... But hey, if I'm wrong I just have to return the Mobo/CPU for a replacement, as they are brand new and have no physical damage.

Fox, thanks a lot for all that info.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm inclined to think it's not the Mobo.

Before I rebuilt the system, I was having the same problem, only I assumed the GPU had gone out because I couldn't get a display. The ONLY part from the old build left in the system is the PSU. And the old Mobo/CPU were working just fine before I took them out.

So I doubt it's the Mobo if the old one worked and the new one is fresh out the box and having the same issue, feel me?

I was not asking if it would damage the PSU :), I was asking if using a DAMAGED PSU can hurt other brand new parts, as all the other parts are brand new.

The keyboard does light up, but only if you push the LOCK buttons. Usually, when the system boots, the LOCK lights will flash on their own. So it is getting power.

I also tried every RAM combo there was, nothing worked.

Really inclined to think it's the old PSU man... But hey, if I'm wrong I just have to return the Mobo/CPU for a replacement, as they are brand new and have no physical damage.

You are correct in believing the PSU, I was just corrected (Perhaps you missed it?) with an update what was going on and I too feel it is in all likelihood the Power Supply. Also, depending on what is wrong with the power supply, a damaged unit could potentially be damaging to new system components.

Yeah if you saw my edit I wrote all that before seeing your replies :)

I'm hoping it didn't damage the Mobo, CPU, if it did though, I'll just return it for a replacement. As long as it's not physically damaged it should be fine to get an RMA.

Like I said I only had everything spinning for a half hour max so let's hope it's okay :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom