bold claims about I7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

supamanc

Solid State Member
This guy on his auction makes some bold claims about the 920 he is selling, Are they true? is it worth paying his inflated prices for a so called 'super 920'?

I'm at school so I can't check what price that is, but I'm guessing it's not worth it, nor will it even be accurate and/or true.

His chips usually sell for around £200, £40 or £50 more expensive than a non 'super 920' his claims relate to the chips being of a super batch that can clock to 4.2/4.4 with a lower vcore than a normal chip, thus inrcreasing stability, making it the best chip available

Nope, it's a lie. I removed the link, no need for that to get any extra traffic. What he says is stable at a certain voltage will only be true for the system he was running it in. Results for others will vary depending on how clean the power going to the CPU is, the motherboard model, etc.

Some of the benchmarks, which compared an overclocked i7 to a stock one, were true. But selling these 'special' i7's and hyping them up the way he was is just bs.

There do exist exceptional cpus, cherry picked units, which can overclock better and further than a standard unit can. But still, the claims he made were false.

sometimes you can get a good chip from a good batch. me and vdubb had excelent and i mean excelent q6600's we both had vid's of 1.201 wich means really really low voltage required to run higher clocks compared to most q6600 chips from back i the day at about 1.3 we got lucky we where both able to clock to 3.8/3.9 on air. the same thing can apply to the i7 920's you can get lucky with a very low vid chip and get some nice clocks out of it. buying a cpu is like playing the lotto if you get a good chip your lucky thats about it. there are things like batch numbers to look out for with many lists online aswell of what chips will do well but there can always be a few chips that dont clock the same from a good batch. just buy one at regular price and cross your fingers for a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom