Deciding between Asus U30Jc and PL30Jt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apothem

Beta member
So I'm looking for a laptop that has high battery life and can allow me to use software like Netbeans and games like League of Legends well. I'm currently stuck with two choices:
The Asus U30Jc (i3 as I can't find i7 anywhere... if you know where to get the i7 please tell!)
or
The Asus PL30Jt (isn't out yet though :|)

Edit: I'm also thinking about the Alienware M11x, though I don't really know its battery life.

What I'm looking for is a laptop with a long battery life (8+ hrs) and a good (if not powerful) processor (i3 and above). The thing is, I'm not on which would fit my goal. Also I like it when the screen is anti-glare.

With the M11x, the battery life will not be that long, You are balancing it upon a dedicated GFX card, processor and RAM.

I have found that the Lenovo's have a prolonged battery life, but these are C2Ds.

As for anti-glare, you can get a film that you put on your screen separate.

To better help you, what are your requirements? screen size? HDD storage? budget? Memory (RAM)? GPU?

Budget: ~$1,500 (I live in the USA)
Screen Size: ~13.3" or less
HDD Storage: Min: 320 GB; I prefer 500 GB though. Preferably 7200 RPM.
RAM: 4GB+
GPU: I honestly have no idea; I've never researched much about GPUs.
CPU: i3 or above
Optical Drive: Not required
Battery: Lasts at minimum a suggested amount of 8 hours; preferably 10.
I can wait for a laptop to come out at a max of approximate 1 1/2 month (i.e. mid-August); though if there are substitutes for right that that would be awesome too.

As said at the top, I would like to be able to run things like Netbeans and League of Legends pretty smoothly.

For $1,299 you can get a Alienware M11x with the following specs that should easily meet your requirements. The only downside is it's probably won't get 8 hours of battery life but it should still be over 6 hours.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Core i7 640UM
4gb DDR3
1gb Geforce GT 335M + Intel GMA HD hybrid graphics
500gb 7200rpm Sata HDD

That was one of my choices. But I disliked the fact that it had, as you noted, a lower battery life. Also I was afraid that it would heat up easily if I OC it. The other "funny" thing is that I don't even know how to OC it; I never tried and I heard it shortens a computer/laptop's life.

Are there other choices that I can fall back on?

With an i5/i7, I do not think you would get 8 hours.

A safe OC does not shorten a CPU's life. CPU OC's are disabled in laptops. It has enough problems keeping cool on stock.

I see. Does OC'ing it also reduce the amount of hours the laptop can run on? i.e. if it originally can do 7 hours, will OC'ing it reduce it to less than that?

On the side note, if I were to get the U30Jc, is it possible to upgrade (manually or something) the HDD to 500 GB w/ 7200 RPM?

Currently my choices have now come to the M11x and the U30Jc. I like that the U30Jc has, supposedly, a longer battery life. I like that M11x uses an i7 processor AND has an HD of 500GB 7200RPM. I'm leaning more towards the U30Jc just because of the battery life.

Another question: I know that the U30Jc's GPU activates on and off depending on what you're doing. Will it activate on if I were to do something like watch videos on YouTube?

You can not OC it, period.

Starting right at the HDD, 7200 vs 5400. 7200 will take up more battery life than the 5400.

The CPU speeds it up when it needs the juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom