Trying to find the problem, might be motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I used Hard Drive section on PC Check. I did one of the Smart Test, Cache scan, performance scan, and a disk scan. I found no errors. There's the "Non-destructible write test" but it said it would have taken 2 days. Is that the test I would have to do?

You should do ALL the HDD test in that section esp the read and write test and the stress test... although i am confused about the 2days, it is supposed to be about 20min, and i have seen it take 1:30 to complete, but that was a way old pc... hmmmmmm the plot thickens.

I wanna point out, badly corrupted RAM can also cause this, even sometimes, not showing errors in MemTest.

It is possible your memory controller is haywire, but that is in the newer processors it self, curious, have you tried running memtest on those sticks in another computer?

Well I was about to post something like this. I used MemTest86+ with both sticks in my machine using version3.5 the test would last around 2 seconds and my computer would restart. Unless I used version 3.4 or tested only 1 ram stick is when the test worked.

I also did a stress test in PC Check and when ever I did a stress test on the RAM the whole thing would freeze and I had to hold the power button down to get out of it. When I put DBAN in to wipe the hard drive it said that it couldn't find the hard drive, and when I used it through Hirens Boot Disk it was saying I might have bad sectors. I went and got a new hard drive and DBAN did the same thing.

I have yet to test the ram sticks in another computer. So should I replace the RAM, CPU, or mother board?

EDIT: Before I start replace RAM and such, should I try to update the BIOS and see if any thing changes?

I would definitely test the ram in another PC if possible... if it is ok, it sounds to me like your Mobo is going bad. There is many options you can go, but in my opinion if that is the case scrap the mobo and processor and start over. Other options will work but ultimately end with the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom