Build Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiverDan

Solid State Member
Hi guys, I'm just looking for some more input on the current build I'm looking at purchasing soon. I'm building an AMD desktop, and would like something that will not only run things flawlessly now, but will be upgradeable in the future. Tall order right? Now consider that I'm buying on a budget.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 BE

Mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Vid Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5830

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred w/750W PSU

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Vid card and processor are fairly firm set. I'd settle for nothing less than a terabyte of hard drive space and I've really been thrilled with GSkill's customer service in the past.

I appreciate any and all input, and I thank you in advance, although I will surely be back to check updates and get opinions soon enough.

Solid build, I'd throw in a cpu cooler. With a bit or reading the 955BE can be jacked up and run alot faster.

Only thing I can't comment on is the RAM, as I'm not that SMRT on RAM.

Welcome to Tech forums.

Solid build, I'd throw in a cpu cooler. With a bit or reading the 955BE can be jacked up and run alot faster.

Only thing I can't comment on is the RAM, as I'm not that SMRT on RAM.

Welcome to Tech forums.

I've looked into the RAm quite a bit. I'm still pretty shaky on the whole understanding of how timings work, but from what I've been able to gather, this is a pretty good deal for the timings it has and also for the quality. I'll look into a cpu cooler as well, it was something I was considering adding, although I don't expect to be overclocking right away and as I said money is tight.

Also, thank you for the welcome.

you could spend a few bucks more on a mobo with the newer 890fx chipset.
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
also has support for sata 3 and usb 3.

Honestly, it's only 12 dollars more so i really don't see any reason not to upgrade beyond hearing that MSi's BIOS is better than Asus BIOS. Again, all speculation, and I'm not too worried about it, I'm sure I can figure it out.

Thanks for the advice guys, and I'd appreciate any more input anyone could offer. It's my first time actually building a computer myself, although I am in no way new to the game. I've helped friends build both AMD and intel i7 systems.

Well, pulled the trigger on it. Only things left now to purchase are a student copy of Win7 and a Razr keyboard and mouse at discounted price from a friend working at Best Buy.

All items ordered from Newegg.com, with shipping at a cost of $1,111.49USD.

(I ordered a 21.5in Samsung monitor as well, if you were wondering about the price)

For the record, this build performs flawlessly. The case is enormous but totally worth it for the added cable routing space. Running both WoW and Dragon Age: Origins on full settings with zero problems. The 5830 isn't bottlenecking my processor either which I was worried about. Will update with 3d mark scores after I run it later today. As of yet I'm not overclocking until I buy a new heatsink. Don't really wanna push the stock fan and heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom