Just built my PC, nothing coming up on the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaJay

Troll Patrol
I just replaced everything in my PC but the PSU and Optical drives.

The build went fine, and everything powered up... But nothing is coming up on the monitor at all, the light on the monitor just says yellow like it's idle. Also peripherals like the keyboard and mouse wont blink up on turning it on.

I looked in the PC with the power on and every component is powered up and the fans are spinning fine....

I have no idea whats wrong?

This is the build:
Case: Alienware Area 51 Blue Tower Case

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 | Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus Evo 785G | Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory: 4GB OCZ DDR3 | Newegg.com - OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3SOE1600LV4GK

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5770 | Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Power Supply: Turbo-Cool 510 ATX Deluxe | http://www.bigbruin.net/reviewpics/p...er510-69-b.jpg

Optical Drives: Plextor Premium CD/RW | Plextor Premium DVD/R

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

HD1: 70GB Raptor 10k RPM

HD2: 160GB Western Digital Cavair 7200 RPM | Newegg.com - Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Blue RFHWD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Nothing comes up on the screen MoM... So we can't do anything with the bios.

I'll try moving the RAM sticks around.. But that didn't do anything before.

We think it's an issue with the serial port, but the Mobo is getting power fine.

Did you make sure the 12v is connected to the mother board? If you didn't it's a 4 or 8 pin connection on the mother board that you plug the 12v power supply cord into. It's usually located near the corner of the board. Most mother boards won't POST unless you have the PSU plugged into that. It's usually the cord on the PSU that has yellow and black wires, but it's not the PCIe PSU cord.

If you have 4 pin connection on the mother board and the PSU cord is an 8 pin, don't worry, it should just pull apart and split into a 4 pin. Just make sure you plug it in the right way, you should not have to force it.

There is a 12 pin on the side, and a 4 pin up top near the serial port. Both are plugged into the PSU.

I can take a photo of the build if you guys need.

Also note that when you plug things into the serial port, they get power, but they don't actually work. The keyboard lights can turn on if you press them, but they dont blink automatically like they should.

The same goes for the monitor, its light turns yellow when you plug it in, showing it knows it's been plugged in, but it doesn't actually show anything.

So they are getting power, just not working.. Sigh. I really have no idea whats wrong, everything on the inside is powered up.

What do you mean by "serial port" because you obviously don't mean serial port (RS-232 port). Are you referring to USB port? Those are powered ports, serial ports are not. All the power connectors are connected to devices (including the graphics card)? New graphics cards have power connectors for the card itself, nVidia cards usually have a 6 and 8 pin connector while my ATi 5870 has 2 6 pin connectors. Both need to be connected.

Try moving the RAM to the other slots if there are other slots available. On my Gigabyte board you have to put the RAM in the white slots first, there may be a similar convention on your board.

Okay, I'll try moving the RAM to the white not the blue slots.

I thought it was called the serial port, guess not. What I am referring to is the plugs (USB, HDMI, Keyboard, ect) on the Mobo that you plug your devices into.

I've tried going HDMI AND the Blue Monitor Plug (?) on both the Mobo and GPU, neither work.

My 5770 GPU has a 4 to 6pin connector, it came with the GPU because my PSU isn't PCI.

1. re-plug in everything; video card, ram, power connections (except cpu, too much work... )

2. remove parts from case, place motherboard on card board box and try to start on the card board using the bare essentials. (motherboard, cpu, video card, 1 stick of ram, power supply)

I am thinking you may have a bad motherboard or a jumper setting may be not set correctly, i have had this problem before. Another possible answer could be a problem with the CPU fan depending on the motherboard, ive also experienced problems with this also...

The Mobo should be fine. It's fresh out of the box, and lights up fine and the CPU fan runs fine as well as all the other fans in the case/GPU. So the issue shouldn't be a bad Mobo.

1. re-plug in everything; video card, ram, power connections (except cpu, too much work... )

2. remove parts from case, place motherboard on card board box and try to start on the card board using the bare essentials. (motherboard, cpu, video card, 1 stick of ram, power supply)

I'll try that. Someone also mentioned something about a jumper, I don't know what that is and my buddy has left for the night -- I am doing the build with a friend of mine who is a Professional but he's just as stumped as I am on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom