Are atx full towers overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveIgnorant

Solid State Member
I knew that a full tower would be quite bigger than my current desktop tower, but NOT nearly twice its size! So my question is, for personal use, is a full tower overkill?

More of a preference than anything else. I prefer full towers because I like doing a lot of work inside the case and they give me ample room. If size or space isn't an issue for you then go for it.

Not so much anymore... My Mid Tower barely fits my GTX 285, and I assume there are cards longer than it out there.

If you want to put a lot of video cards in I guess full towers are good, but I'm ore than happy with my mid-tower Antec 900. I have a RadeonHD 5870 in it which is a very big (11 inches long) card and although it's a tight fit, it does fit in the case without issues.

For myself, I only buy full towers.
Air flow, extra working space, future part compatibility, the list goes on.

For others, e.g. when I put together a build for my grandparents, I'll just use a midi tower or something along the same lines. They are never going to upgrade, never going to need great airflow, never going to need to work on the pc, etc.

So I guess, as Baez said, it depends on the user.
For people like me it's a necessity.
For the average user? I'd say overkill.
For the average gamer? I'd always recommend it.

just would depend on what you are going to do with it... mid-towers arent bad... but they don't get the airflow, and you can't really be sure upgrades are going to fit. also, it depends on what motherboard you are getting... if you have an E-ATX board, it's not going to fit into a mid... in fact, there's alot of mid-tower pcs that won't support even a full ATX motherboard

Put me down as a full tower only guy as well. I tried the full tower once and now won't go back to the mid, just too nice having all that room to play with. My only pet peeve with the full towers is the lack of cable length in many psu's which limits the wire management options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom