Core i7 build, need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, you can definitely lower the vcore a lot. Really you should be able to run 4.1-4.2Ghz on ~1.3125v
Leave the ICH voltage up

This may have something to do with vdroop but I am running Prime95 right now and according to cpu-z, the core voltage is only 1.29 and I have it set to 1.36 in the bios. Why is there such a difference? I have the vdroop set to standard which disables vdroop and follows intel's specs.

Also, according to cpu-z, the fsb:dram ratio is 2:8. Is that fine? When I was overclocking my old build, I was always told it should be a 1:1 ratio. Is that still the same?

In the old days you wanted the cpu bus and the memory bus to run at the same speed (1 to 1) for the best performance. But nowadays the memory controller is built into the cpu so the buses are sync'ed already, the ratio your selecting is really more of a Memory Bus Multiplier. Say your cpu is running at a bus speed of 200 with a cpu multiplier of 20, that's 200x20=4000. Your Memory is at a 1:1 ratio because it's running off of the same bus speed of 200 and the 2:8 is really a Multiplier, 8, or 200x8=1600.

I am not sure I am stable or not. I started Prime95 last night and I let it run all night(no problems) and all day today. I know it ran for at least 14 hours before it crashed but I don't know when, been outside all day. The odd thing is it did not give me a blue screen or restart, the video card fan speed was still on high but the monitor was black and the monitor power button was still blue, like it should be when it is on.

I have a few other things I don't understand about my computer. First, the amount of time from when I push the power button and the bios screen shows up is a good 15 or 20 seconds. Why such a long amount of time?

Second, the +12volt reading under HWmonitor is showing between 5 and 7 volts at idle. When under load, it goes up to between 15 and 16 volts. Why is it so low at idle and so high under load? I think I have all that speedstep stuff disabled in the bios.

I have not messed with any bios settings since the last time I ran Prime95 which ran for 14+ hours. I have not had time, been busy putting up hay. We put up 2100 bales of hay in the past two days.

EDIT: BTW, Soulphire and Slaymate, I have left rep for you. Thanks for helping me with this build.

My PC takes 10-15 seconds before it posts also. It's some kind of a pre-warmup I suppose, I'm really not sure. But I know all of the EVGA X58 mobo's I've tested do it.

Do you have the CxE Function disabled? If that doesn't fix it I would post a question in the Corsair Forum 1st and see about a RMA. It could also be the mobo or just a problem with HWMonitor. Did your mobo come with it's own monitoring program? Maybe you can run it and see if the samething is happening.

My PC takes 10-15 seconds before it posts also. It's some kind of a pre-warmup I suppose, I'm really not sure. But I know all of the EVGA X58 mobo's I've tested do it.

Do you have the CxE Function disabled? If that doesn't fix it I would post a question in the Corsair Forum 1st and see about a RMA. It could also be the mobo or just a problem with HWMonitor. Did your mobo come with it's own monitoring program? Maybe you can run it and see if the samething is happening.

Well at least it isn't just me.

Yes I believe I do have that function disabled. Could you take a look at the bios pics I posted and see if there is anything else that should be disabled. I am almost positive it is not a PSU problem since I had this same PSU in my old build and it showed 12 volts like it is supposed to.

My mobo came with EasyTune6 and it is showing 12 volts. Maybe just a HWmonitor problem? Strange, whenever I run BFBC2, it goes up to about 13 volts and comes back down to 6 volts after I quit under HWmonitor. It also shows a -12 volt reading and a -5 volt reading as well, I don't think I have ever seen that on my old build. EasyTune6 is showing a reading of 12 volts and does not have a -12 volt reading like HWmonitor.

EDIT: Speedfan shows almost the exact same reading as HWmonitor which is between 5 and 6 volts. Any other programs I can try?

EDIT2: I just installed PC Wizard and it is also showing around 5 volts. IIRC, the bios shows a reading of 12 volts. Is that all that matters? So far 3 out 4 programs I have tried are showing a reading of 5 volts.

I got a problem. I was playing BFBC2 last night and when I got done, I shut the machine down for the night. Well when I shut the monitor off, I noticed it turned blue for a few seconds, no writing, just plain blue. I didn't think nothing off it, thought maybe I hit a button on the monitor.

Today, I go to turn the computer on and nothing shows up on the display. When I turn the monitor on, it will turn blue for a few seconds just like it did when it shut down. I know Windows loads up because I can hear the login sound and the video card fan speed up. I have tried the second dvi port on the video card, I have tried a different card as well and the same thing happens. That leads me to believe the video card is not the problem. Could the monitor be bad?

EDIT: Nevermind, I feel so stupid right now.:facepalm: I accidently hit the button right next to the power button on the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom