EMS memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

braindead

Beta member
I have a pre-pentium chip that needs something called EMS memroy. This is very old and I have no idea what it is, or where to find it(assuming that it is still out there).Can you help??

For a description read this article
In the early days of PC memory development additional memory was needed for various applications, a solution was EMS or extended memory system. If I recall there was a interface standard for the memory to be used by memory drivers. I didn't read the article posted for you but it may help explain the situation. Unless there is a really good reason to use the old hardware don't look just throw it under a truck. :D

OK now I know wha EMS memory is but i still can't find it anywhere even on the three websites you gave me are there any others that might have it?

The technology was in use prior to the advanced processors being developed by Intel. The timeframe was perhaps 20 years ago so your task of hunting for the item may be difficult. I see others have pointed you to sources, I don't have any.

SOME local shops have them. One I know that does is Que Computers in Minneapolis. $5-10 is what they charge for 1, 2, and 4 MB modules. You should search around the local shops in your area to try and find one. Search eBay again for EMS MEMORY. They have everything and it changes on a daily basis, so I'm sure you'll find some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom