Taking apart a computer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaJay

Troll Patrol
I've just received the parts for my new PC, so I need to take the old ones out first!

I'm only replacing the Mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM and HD. So I would imagine I can leave the PSU and Optical drives where they are.

I watched a few youtube videos on how to build/break down a PC but some real input on the order in which to take the parts out would help.

I attached a photo of the build as it is now.

I assume all I will need is a screwdriver, and maybe a can of air?

And excuse the dog laying in the background :)

Attachments

• PCstart.jpg
    PCstart.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 41
Yup.

The video card comes out first,as its usually attached to the case.

You might have to pull the hard drive as i can't tell the clearence.

Just go slow, use gentle, but firm pressure to ensure the parts are seated.

Also ensure the brass standoffs are aligned in the correct spots for the new mobo. They are the brass thingys behind the mobo, which the mobo screws into.

g/l but its pretty easy.

Let me grab the other motherboard box, I actually still have it... I'll edit in a sec.

It's NOT Asus. It's: Intel Desktop Board D925XCV Extreme Performance for High End Gamers and Power Users.

It says on the box: ATX, PCI Express x16 graphics, RAID, 800MHz FSB

The new one I linked above.

Are they both going to fit?

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I'll probably do the full build tomorrow, I'm still waiting on the OS as I ordered it a day late.

Quick question, I noticed in my tutorials that people are applying thermal compound on their CPU before putting on the heatsink.. I didn't buy any thermal stuff because I didn't know I needed it, does any come with the CPU or do I have to by some... Or is it even neccesary?

What cpu/cooler did you get... link would be best.

Most, 95%, come with a pre applied compound, so you'll be fine. If its an oem fan/heatsink it won't be the top quality TIM, but decent enough to run a stock setup.

Oh its highly nessesary... It makes the thermal connection between the cpu and the heatsink. Without it, the cpu will over heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom