Which CPU is worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

97bblackz123

Beta member
The black has an unlocked modifier, which means you can overclock like stink... If you learn how.

Other than that, i'm not sure about amds, but the Phenom is the newer design...

The black has an unlocked modifier, which means you can overclock like stink... If you learn how.

Other than that, i'm not sure about amds, but the Phenom is the newer design...

Well i also know the athlon overclocks really well also. Friend has the same one running somewhere around 3.3 on stock cooler.

I just dont know if the L3 cache is going to be worth it in the long run for gaming or not.

Holy wall of words...... I honestly couldn't read it right.... Please think of us lazy folk and hit "enter" every so often.

But anyway, a decent air cooler beats a cheap water loop any day.

Holy wall of words...... I honestly couldn't read it right.... Please think of us lazy folk and hit "enter" every so often.

But anyway, a decent air cooler beats a cheap water loop any day.

Sry... i just reread that its a whole lot of jumble, let me un ADD it. Processors have caches to store data. It acts like ram but it has less latency than ram because its actually on the processor. On the Black edition you have 3 caches L1,L2, and L3.

Unlike the Athlon which only has L1, and L2 caches the Black edition has a third cache, L3. The rule of thumb says the More levels of cache the quicker the data transfer to a certain extent. The Caches act as built in ram. With caches the Processor doesnt have to wait on the RAM for the information, the data is already stored in the processor.

In general However, as the number of Cache Levels increase on the processor so does the over latency of the system. Too much cache is not a good thing because it slows down the data transfer if the processor has to search through both the Cache and the ram for the information. This causes the cache act as a roadblock. The Black edition doesnt have enough Cache to slow down the flow of information. Its actually right on the border of being the perfect amount of cache.

Overclocking the Black edition will increase the overall system performance phenomenally because of this extra cache. So if your looking for the best processor overclocked than the Black is the better choice. If you werent going to overclock it the Athlon is the better of the two in terms of bang for you buck. Buy a watercooler, it doesnt have to be anything special but good enough to cool the processor down. The black edition will crank off some good heat, its better to be safe than sorry. Im a fan of watercoolers though it requires bi monthly checks and maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom