Opinion on $850 or less desktop I am building

Status
Not open for further replies.

phildozer

Beta member
I am building a desktop with my friend that will be in the 750-850 range. We have come up with a rough idea of what we want in it. Could you guys let me know what you think of what we think is going into it. I want to use it for heavy gaming and watching HD movies. I am not familiar with motherboards so I would really appreciate recommendations on that and whether or not I am getting good value out of the video card and proc.

Power supply $60
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7

proc- $200 AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
or
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

video card 240 X HD-583X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.com - XFX HD-583X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Hard drive $70 WD 1tb 7200
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Antec 900 computer case and Lite-On OEM DVD burner
Antec 900 computer case and Lite-On OEM DVD burner - dealspl.us

Ram $94 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - MSI G31TM-P21 LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Thanks a lot guys

As far as I know, it looks sweet. I am unaware of the AMD realm. Graphic cards as well.

You might want to get 2 hard drives, a smaller one for OS use and larger one for storage. I have a SSD 30GB for my OS and SATA 320GB + 500GB for storage.

Looks fine. Questions for you: Are you going to be running dual video cards? If not then you dont need the SLI ready board and can get another board. If you do want to run 2 512 video cards it will run faster video cause you will have two video card processors, faster speed memory always helps and skip the single TB hd and get two 500 gigs.

^um guys yous should really need to look. He has a lg 775 board and an AMD cpu.... Unless you have a hammer, IT AIN'T FITTING.

I can't suggest a mobo, I'm not good at it, but you need to find an AM3 mobo.

As its for gaming, I'd do the X4 black, and oc it, though it is a nice quick chip. Means though, to oc it, you'll have to get a cooler.... Again Out of my realm.

Unless youre gaming on a HUGE resolution, a single card is always better.. plus as the gpu you selected is ati, you'll need a xfire board, and NOT SLI.

Other than the mobo, its not to bad... The 900 is crappy to cleanly wire though... but cols nicely.

Hi there.... hmm I just signed up as i had to comment on a topic but lost it haha. Anyway.. one thing.. I am an amd man myself more than intel but gotta say... specs are great for price... but one thing.. if you wanna juice out the gaming... the amd phenoms just don't cut it vs. a pretty much equally priced i5-750... go for that imo, rest is awesome... the OS SSD tip is a huge perfomance increase as well on general perfomance of your OS to be honest... it will cost you some more, so maybe not this time around... but look into it.. it's one of the smarter little things, system builders come to realize quickly enough. Unfortunately, the AMD's would normally been a good corner cut but the problem is games just don't utilize 6 cores etc. yet in any apprieciative fashion. and hmm, just double check with what you end up doing that the power supply there is ok.. they often state a certain max. watt output but it is known in the industry, those numbers are very 'variable' by themanufacturers... so make sure you got the juice needed.

good luck

Hi there.... hmm I just signed up as i had to comment on a topic but lost it haha. Anyway.. one thing.. I am an amd man myself more than intel but gotta say... specs are great for price... but one thing.. if you wanna juice out the gaming... the amd phenoms just don't cut it vs. a pretty much equally priced i5-750... go for that imo, rest is awesome... the OS SSD tip is a huge perfomance increase as well on general perfomance of your OS to be honest... it will cost you some more, so maybe not this time around... but look into it.. it's one of the smarter little things, system builders come to realize quickly enough. Unfortunately, the AMD's would normally been a good corner cut but the problem is games just don't utilize 6 cores etc. yet in any apprieciative fashion. and hmm, just double check with what you end up doing that the power supply there is ok.. they often state a certain max. watt output but it is known in the industry, those numbers are very 'variable' by themanufacturers... so make sure you got the juice needed.

good luck

Please stop using "..." please! We know what a period is, we don't need 3.

Actually, AMD CPU's are as good as Intels. For gaming, it's other factors that matter more than just the CPU. No game IIRC, yet uses the 6 cores. It will take the programmers awhile to catch up to this new technology.

The PSU depends on more than just the wattage. Wattage is just a broad view of how it performs.

I would suggest a SSD to anyone that can afford it. Yes, It does cost a bit for 30GB, but the boot time is awesome. Processing time is also slick. Just please install your games and intense programs (Photoshop) on your storage drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom