Need good advice for RAM on this new build please

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi everyone!

I am building a new rig. Not sure what type of RAM to buy. I got a super deal on one of the Fry's combo specials.

Here are the components I have so far:

Intel I5-750 CPU
Gigabyte P55A-UD3
ENERMAX INFINITI EIN720AWT
Storm Sniper Case

Ok, I have two questions:

1. What RAM do you recommend?
2. Anyone have any thoughts on the Gigabyte P55A-UD3 [is it ok, or should I look for another MB]?

I appreciate any and all good advice.

Thanks,

Soar

I'll recommend DDR3 1600 or DDR3 2000 if you think you may try a little overclocking. Any good name brand will be fine but you should choose the modules with the lowest latencies available in your budget range.

The Higher the MHz and the lower the Latencies = Faster Performance and more Overclocking Potential

I sure hope you got **** of a deal :thumbsup:
1156 is EOL...
intel's sandy bridge will be on socket 1155

I am debating between these two options at the moment:

Option 1
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Cas Latency 9
Timing 9-9-9-24-2N
Voltage 1.5V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered

Option 2
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
Cas Latency 7
Timing 7-8-7-24-2N
Voltage 1.65V
ECC No

Some of the uniqueness I noticed between the two:
1.5v. vs. 1.65v
Cas Latency 9 vs.7
Timings 9-9-9-24-2N vs. 7-8-7-24-2N

And finally, I noticed the first set of RAM I listed is being purchased 5 times more than the second even though the price difference is only $5.00.

Ok, what's up with this?

Soar

PS what is "EOL" and what is "sandy bridge"?

I would go with Option 2
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
Cas Latency 7
Timing 7-8-7-24-2N
Voltage 1.65V
ECC No

The other memory is being purchesed more because it's cheaper and most people don't realize the other memory is faster.

I would go with Option 2
Cas Latency 7
Timing 7-8-7-24-2N
Voltage 1.65V
ECC No

The other memory is being purchesed more because it's cheaper and most people don't realize the other memory is faster.

Slay,

Ok, thanks for your good advice!

One more question: What is XMP and how does it change memory settings to 1600?

For some reason, the GigaByte P55A-UD3 motherboard has had some issues with various memory types and speeds.

I just read how many people are buying G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL and it is working but....

Several of the posters are saying this:

"This motherboard DOES NOT have a handy 12X multiplier. Surprise... XMP worked correctly in this case setting the memory to 1600..."

What is this about?

Soar

XMP is a pre-design settings profile. If your operating at the stock bus speeds the profile works great. If your overclocking then the profile isn't desirable as it does not take those settings into account.

If the mobo doesn't have a handy 12X multiplier then it's a piece of crap. Personally I wouldn't own a Gigabyte. If one was gave to me I would sell it, give it away or trash it.

XMP is a pre-design settings profile. If your operating at the stock bus speeds the profile works great. If your overclocking then the profile isn't desirable as it does not take those settings into account.

If the mobo doesn't have a handy 12X multiplier then it's a piece of crap. Personally I wouldn't own a Gigabyte. If one was gave to me I would sell it, give it away or trash it.

Slay,

Thanks for more info! I appreciate your excellent advice! But you still have not answered my other two questions...

what is "EOL" and what is "sandy bridge"?

It sounds as if you have had some very poor experiences with Gigabyte. So sorry about that!

I usually am able to obtain Gigabyte motherboards for less than half price. So I'll pick up a number of them, sell them off, then keep one for free. For me, it makes it kind of nice to build a stable decent system and not have to throw massive bucks into it. I am paying a fraction of the cost for most of the stuff I build and I have never had a single problem with Gigabyte motherboards, so I am kind of happy about that. I've been very pleased with the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P I have been using for years now...not a single hiccup and most reviews I read about it were absolutely raving...

Oh, I just finished doing a little more research on the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and discovered that a horrible batch of these motherboards was released in March of 2010 that caused people massive problems! Wow. That was revision 1.6 I believe. Well, now I am happy that I purchased the earlier models.

Anyway, what's the story on the EOL and Sandy Bridge?

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom