GPU not recognizing monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaJay

Troll Patrol
I've just ordered the parts to do a major upgrade on an old PC of mine.

I know the HD is OS corrupted but I want to salvage it so I was going to use gparted to reformat it.

Went to do that and when I plug a monitor in to the GPU the monitor light turns yellow, which is normal... But then when I boot up the PC the monitor light stays yellow and doesn't display anything. As opposed to turning green and showing 'Loading Windows', it acts like it's in sleep mode.

Tested on 2 monitors, tried both monitors on my working PC and they worked fine, so not a monitor issue.

I'm gutting the machine, so it doesn't really matter if the GPU is fried I just want to diagnose the issue.

Edit: Looks like there is a monitor pronged slot on the Motherboard as well, could I use that plug for the monitor if it's the GPU that's the issue?

GPU should be primary, worked fine from that plug forever then crapped out, I wiggled the connector and it came back on, then crapped out again...So assuming it's the GPU.

Right on, thanks Paton. I'll just plug into the onboard tomorrow so I can reformat.

I put gparted on a disc... I wiki'd it and get how to boot from it and get to the partitions menu but I'm not exactly sure how to do what I want to do.

I want to just delete everything so I can have a fresh HD and install an OS on it.

Its quite easy, last time I used it, it was pretty staight forward.. and as you're wiping it, getting it wrong doesn't hurt anything...This is where you can learn by playing. :)

Nah, I didn't want to mention it cause it's a n00b move but I misrecognized the slot, there is no on board monitor plug in on my mobo.

So I'm just gonna have to wait till all the new parts are in before I reformat that HD.

It's gotta be the GPU. Cause when it went out, wiggling the plug helped for awhile but now it just doesn't work.

Either way, new parts come in tomorrow, and I wont have the issue anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom