CPU overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1y23

Baseband Member
I just set up a nice new rig with a AMD XP 3200+ and for some reason when ever i play a game the screen will go black and the computer will shut off completly even though the power led is still on and it will do it again at startup if i dont wait 20 minutes before turning the comp on again. I turned on my computer this morning to moniter the temp and it rose to 47 C and stoped. then i played halo, the computer shut off, i waited 20 min and the temp was at 51 C when i turned the computer on. Is this a cooling problem possibly?

Just noticed that the power supply fan is directly aiming at the cpu fan is that a problem?

also my case fan is working properly, and the cpu fan is going at 4155 RPM.

I know that AMD CPUs run hotter, but I can't remember what temps are safe for them, someone else will know.

As for your power supply fan, it should be blowing air out of the case. If your case fan is on the back of your case, it should be blowing air out as well.

It's possible that it is overheating. Try taking the side panel of your computer case off and load up an intense game to see what happens.

i did that with halo for about 30 mins but then my ram(which was diffective) gave me the blue screen of death so i wont be able to try until i get more ram.

but if that is the case what can i do to be able to play with the case panel on?

The power supply has 2 fans one that is inside the case and another going out. Ill check if they both work when i get home.
are both supposed to work?

Your CPU and possibly your RAM are getting too hot. You probably don't have enough airflow. If you have a lot of junk in your case (wires blocking airflow, etc) look at getting a liquid cooling system. It's easy to install. I figured mine out in about 30 min or so and the directions were all in Japanese.

chances are it was the ram because it was diffective but if the problem persists after i get new ram ill look into to liquid cooling.

how much does that cost by the way?

what might be better, and less expensive, is to replace your case fan with some quality fans that move alot of air. One thing that helps is to have an intake fan on the side of the case above your cpu, in that general area. It will bring in cool air directly to your mobo. All you have to do is cut a hole in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom