Noob Build...Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omag321

Baseband Member
OK, just a quick background. I have NEVER built a computer by myself, but i have had a couple customs built FOR me. This will be MY first build and i am doing it so i have a new project to accomplish while upgrading my computer. I would like to spend NO MORE than $1500. However, i will be putting it together over time, so i am not too worried about price...as i will make purchases weekly. I am ONLY going to be playing Starcraft 2 (like everyone else on these boards it seems), but i would like a computer that i dont have to worry cant handle the graphics, or will be slow. I am going to pick up an i7 930 tomorrow(well, later today) from Microcenter because its on sale for $200, and today is the last day its on sale. Other than that i will be using it just for internet, youtube, basic stuff, but i would like to be able to run to my TV and stream netflix, or movies if its possible. I have a few ideas based off what people are saying, and the different forums i have been scanning. Here goes...

i7 930

GPU -
Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNDC Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) XXX Edition 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity That seems to be what most people are saying to go with, and the general answers to "what GPU to get" is that one.

Ram - EITHER
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BL3KIT25664BN1608 - Desktop Memory

OR
Newegg.com - OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1600R2LV6GK

Cooling -
Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
I see that a couple members went with this, but i am VERY much open to suggestions....

Monitor -
Right now i have a Samsung Syncmaster 914V. It works quite well and does its job, but i will end up upgrading the monitor later.

Case - This is the MOST frustrating part. I would like something that looks nice, as i will see it everyday. However, i dont need some CRAZY case that will open up and tell me "hey, your computer is hot, let me take care of that for you".

Power supply -
I have read to go with Corsair, and a 650 should be good enough. Atleast thats what im being told. If i need to upgrade, not a big deal.

I know i left a lot out, but thats pretty much what i got so far. ALL SUGGESTIONS AND OPINIONS ARE WELCOME! I ALSO THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR HELP AND INPUT!

Welcome to the forums, I have that same cooler and I will tell you this, make sure you get a case wide enough to hold it. I have an Antec 1200 and it is probably an inch or less away from the side cover, didn't measure, just eyeballed it.

As for the case, I would not buy an Antec 1200 again but that is just my opinion. To remove 1 hard drive, you have to remove 12 screws, 8 thumb screws for the hard drive cage and 4 screws for the hard drive. I also don't like that the PSU is mounted in the bottom. Some of my PSU cables were not long enough to go behind the mobo.

What about hard drives, are you going to get an SSD drive or the traditional sata drives. IMO, SSD drives are not worth it yet. They are too expensive for what little space you get.

For the PSU, I would go with Corsair. You may want to go with 750 or 850 watt in case you want to upgrade down the road. Do you plan on doing crossfire?

Welcome to the forums, I have that same cooler and I will tell you this, make sure you get a case wide enough to hold it. I have an Antec 1200 and it is probably an inch or less away from the side cover, didn't measure, just eyeballed it.

As for the case, I would not buy an Antec 1200 again but that is just my opinion. To remove 1 hard drive, you have to remove 12 screws, 8 thumb screws for the hard drive cage and 4 screws for the hard drive. I also don't like that the PSU is mounted in the bottom. Some of my PSU cables were not long enough to go behind the mobo.

What about hard drives, are you going to get an SSD drive or the traditional sata drives. IMO, SSD drives are not worth it yet. They are too expensive for what little space you get.

For the PSU, I would go with Corsair. You may want to go with 750 or 850 watt in case you want to upgrade down the road. Do you plan on doing crossfire?

Thank you for the response. I have read everything on your post regarding your build and I had talk a lot of suggestions from there. That's where I got the idea for the cooling fan. I will probably go with something else though, because I don't think I need such a heavy duty one and its just too big. I also see your dissapointmet about your case, and also what other people have said about it. I will definately go with something different now.
As far as drives go, I was thinking SSD, but I dot think its necessary right now and for the price, I think I can get something better.
I picked up my i7 930 from microcenter today(it was on sale for $200) and my next purchase will be a case/motherboard to put it in. Also, I have no idea what crossfire is( I'm a noooob), so I am not sure how to answer that. I was thinking about the card I listed in the first post, if your referring to GPU.

Crossfire is when you have 2 or more Graphics cards. Crossfire is For Radeon. SLI is the same thing as Crossfire, except its for Nividia.

Also, id suggest going with a full size Case.

These are nice ones i think will work well for what you want:

Heres the Antec 1200 that Memory was talking about
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043

This is a cooler master case that is getting very good reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

This is a corsair obsidian case that is getting a lot of good reviews too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139001

Another sharp looking coolermaster case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119213

This is probably the cheapest full size case you can get, it looks like its getting some good reviews too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166004

Thanks for the input. I like the cases you chose! I am going to look into 3 of them, and try and narrow it down from there. Any reason i should go full size tower? I have a mid size now, with 4 bays and i only used 2. Both dvd burners/cd drives. I figure i would only need 2 on the new one as well, being that i will have probably the same setup, just with blu ray burners instead.

I do however, need some help with choosing the motherboard. I bought my i7 930 today for $200 from Microcenter(great deal i believe). Now i need to get a case, a PSU, and from there ill see how the build goes. I am in NO hurry to get it done, other than be able to play Starcraft 2 when it comes out. Any good recommendations for motherboard/psu( i saw the corsair 750/850 recommendation) namewise? Id like to pick that all up this week, so i can get it in and start the build. Thanks again, for ALL of your help!

a full size case will kinda give you insurance for the future... who knows what you will want to doin the future, and who knows what the size of things are going to be down the road. itll be nice to know that you can house anything that comes out. i wish i had a full size case.

What 3 are you looking at?

a full size case will kinda give you insurance for the future... who knows what you will want to doin the future, and who knows what the size of things are going to be down the road. itll be nice to know that you can house anything that comes out. i wish i had a full size case.

What 3 are you looking at?

You make a good point. Im just concerned it will be WAY too big, and not fit under my desk, but looking at my desk right now, i am pretty sure it will be fine. So i think im going to go with a full size case. The 3 i am looking at are...
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Blue RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Those 3 out of the ones suggested. I am going to stay away from the Antec 1200, because of the many negative things i have been hearing about it.
For the drives, i think i am going to go with this one for the HDD.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
It seems to be a forum favorite, its not expensive, and its getting pretty good reviews.

Also, i think that this power supply is pretty decent. Its a little bit more expensive, and its not a corsair name but seems to also be talked about quite well on the forums, and getting great reviews as well. Any opinions on it?

Newegg.com - XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Thats my updates for now. As far as crossfire, i dont think i am going to need to do that. I WOULD like to be able to hook it up to my samsung 42 in plasma, IF POSSIBLE. If its going to cost a lot, than i will pass. However, if possible, and cost allowing, i would like to get a card that will allow me to do that.

I think you will be much happier with the Cooler Master HAF 932. its a pretty bullet proof case and its getting awesome reviews across the board. after suggesting it to you ive read/ watched every review i can find and im going to get it here pretty soon. kinda excited.

Just to let you know, you need the full tower like Memory said, because the cooler is huge, and got nothing really to do with the future.

Hafs a nice case, maybe double check the cooler fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom