CPU Overheating Temperature problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFL_A_PIGGY

In Runtime
My computer was working fine yesterday and for a year before this, but now all of a sudden it had a MS-DOS error that said CPU Over heating temperature or something of the sort, and I reseated the heat sink and fan, and reapplied arctic silver to the cpu and heatsink, and the heatsink is firmly in place. I also cleaned out the dust from the heatsink. Now the error doesn't come up anymore but my temperature is VERY high still. I felt the inside of my computer and the processor and heatsink feel very hot, and so does the air around it, so it must be an overheating issue and not a temperature read error.

My CPU is an Intel i7 920, and my motherboard is an ASUS p6T. My operating system is Windows Vista 32 bit. I have a 750W PSU.

The BIOS and RealTemp says the temperature of all 4 cores is around 85-100 Celsius at idle, and that is very high. I have 4 fans in my large full tower case (one in front, one in back, a large one in side, one on the top) and also one on the CPU.

I can't figure out why the temperature is so high, there shouldn't be any reason for it to be that high.

By the way right now I am using a different computer because I am scared that the processor will fry.

Can anyone suggest anything to help?

Thanks in advance.

85 to 100 degrees is way to hot especially at idle. Do you know what it was running at before the error came up? If it's running that hot, the computer should shut down to prevent damage. You are smart for not using that computer.

What cpu cooler is it? Are you overclocked at all? I would try and reseat the heatsink. Did you clean off the old thermal paste?

Sorry for the late response (studying for finals).

@memory The cpu cooler is a stock heatsink and fan, it clicks into the motherboard. I'm not sure what it was running before, I've never had to check it before. It must've been around 40-55 degrees is my guess. The GPU is superclocked, but I bought it superclocked from EVGA, so it was professionally done. I did reseat the heatsink many times and it is firmly in place now, and I removed the old thermal paste and put on new Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound and put it on both the heatsink and the processor.

@MinorMix I cleaned all the dust from the heatsink and fan before and there was still no change (there was a TON in there). I vacuumed it all out (away from the motherboard of course) and now there is hardly any in there, I can see right through it fine.

@patonb My GPU is running normal temperature, at around 40 degrees.

Also I have the EVGA Precision program which lets me change the speed of my fans (I think except for the CPU fan though, only the ones on the case) and if I put the speed to 100% it still doesn't bring down the temperature of the CPU (the fan speed change is great for when I'm gaming and need to cool the GPU off a bit).

If you're absolutely sure that the heatsink is seated properly, and the thermal paste is applied properly, then go into your BIOS and manually set all the values
E.g. Set the BCLK to 133, the multiplier to x20, the vcore to 1.2v
If anything's set to 'extreme' mode or 'performance' mode, put it back to standard or normal.

It's been coming up with the CPU over temperature error again so I haven't had a chance to get into the BIOS. Should I just take it into a professional to get it fixed? I'm trying not to spend money to fix this because this shouldn't be happening, it's been a beast for the last year.

I wouldn't go yet... Howe did you apply the paste? It should onoly be a rice size dab in the center, and a 1/8th twist of the heatsink when you place it on.

Be sure though to thouroghly clean off all old paste with isopropyl alchol and a coffee filter.

Is the fan plugged in and working? It can be spinning but still be defective. Do you have any extra fans? Try aiming a fan at the heatsink, hold it close, and see if the temperature goes down.

I placed that amount of compound on the cpu and the heatsink, then spread it around with a clean zip-loc bag with my finger in it to a thin layer, it doesn't look like it's any more than what came on it in the first place, I'm positive I put it on right.

I don't think it will let me hold a fan up to it, my case has a thing where it will say Chassis Intruded if the case is open when the computer is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom