Upgrading - Compatibility Check Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaJay

Troll Patrol
I have an old Alienware (Area 51 2004 Model) that I would like to 'gut' and rebuild. I'm on a strict budget of $500 so instead of building from scratch, I'm going to use as many old components as possible.

I would like the system to be able to easily run the current and next gen MMOs and FPSs.

Due to budget, I'm going to go all out on the CPU/RAM/MOBO and go with an older GPU, so that I can just upgrade the GPU at a later date without having to revamp the system.

I need to make sure the new and old parts are all compatible with each other! So here is the build:

OLD PARTS: (I just read the labels, don't know exact names)
Case: Alienware Area 51 Blue Tower Case
Power Supply: Turbo-Cool 510 ATX Deluxe 650W Peak 510 Continuous
Optical Drives: Plextor Premium CD/RW | Plextor Premium DVD/R
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
HD: 70GB Raptor 10k RPM

NEW PARTS:
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 | Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus Evo 785G | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131398

RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS3 | Newegg.com - OCZ Special Ops Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3SOE1600LV4GK

GPU: XFX Radeon 5770 | Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Is everything compatible? I was worried about the old PS maybe not being compatible.

Thanks Trotter, and you think the rest of the components work together fine? The old components included? :)

Also, which of those GPU's you mentioned would you go for? I notice they are right next to each other on the GPU Performance List at 15 and 16.

Yes, everything should work together just fine.

I would go for the 5770 as it is DX11.

Awesome. Time to fill my shopping cart.

Last question, it will run most games at passable FPS? Example: Bad Company 2...

I know it wont max out all current games but it really should do pretty well, right?

You've got only 1 problem. Your psu doesn't have a pci-e connecter, so any gpu do get ensure it comes with the 2 4 pin to 6 pin pci-e adaptors.
Both the xfx cards have them.

Correct, the PSU doesn't say PCI on it anywhere I noticed that when trying to find a photo of it.

But if I get the 5770 that Trotter suggested, it will still run fine with the PSU?

Do you need any more info on the PSU, I can go look at the label again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom