Critique This Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like2game

Baseband Member
Go ahead, you know you want. Keep in mind though i am Canadian and am working with different prices than you lucky Americans. I am linking to newegg.ca for the parts, but my final order is going through NCIX. Just using newegg because i wanted to double check prices anyways, and i know it is a community fav around here.

Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 Motherboard

Intel Core i7-930

G.SKILL Trident 6GB

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Corsair Professional Series Gold CMPSU-1200AX (Not available at Newegg)

eVGA GTX 480 SC

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX (Sata6.0/64mb cache)

Some Cheap dvd reader/burner

All input is welcome.

Why do you have almost twice as much psu than needed?

A quality 600W should do it. Other than that you might want to get a cpu cooler, especially wsith the 480 adding more heat to the system.

Why do you have almost twice as much psu than needed?

A quality 600W should do it. Other than that you might want to get a cpu cooler, especially wsith the 480 adding more heat to the system.

I have heard of a few people who are having issues overclocking their cpu and video cards (sli 480s) with a 1000w PSU. In about a year i hope to get either 2 SSD or 2 15,000rpm HDDs for raid and an additional 1TB or 2TB HDD for more storage. I also will put another 480 in here when prices drop. I am going to be putting a sound-card in pretty soon as well. I want to make sure i have the power for all upgrades i plan to do over the next few years.

For the CPU cooler, i am just going to keep it clocked at stock speeds for about 6 months, and put a full water cooling system in the pc when i overclock it. The Motherboard already has a waterblock on the north-bridge and eVGA sells 480 waterblocks cheap enough.

is there any particular reason you went with Nividia? i think Radeon is way better, thats just me. a 5870 or 5970 would be better than a 480.

also you do need a CPU cooler. and if you are planning on overclocking the CPU, a i7 920 is better at overclocking and is a weee but cheaper.

EDIT: i didnt see that you arnt planning on overlcocking

is there any particular reason you went with Nividia? i think Radeon is way better, thats just me. a 5870 or 5970 would be better than a 480.

also you do need a CPU cooler. and if you are planning on overclocking the CPU, a i7 920 is better at overclocking and is a weee but cheaper.

EDIT: i didnt see that you arnt planning on overlcocking

The 930 is actually $40 cheaper than the 920 D0 at NCIX at the moment. How much better does the 920 OC though? I do eventually want to overclock my cpu.

i dont have any experience overclocking them personally, thats Slaymates area of expertise, but from what ive read they overclock significantly better.

oh and i forgot to tell you that Radeon graphics cards dont use as much power, so you dont need as big of a power supply, especially for crossfire later on. i have a 700W and that will be enough to crossfire my 5870 when the time comes.

^Honestly, the 930 920 is a debate... i read half think the 920s better half think theres vno difference. The 930 has a been uped to 21x from the 20x of the 920. People say you can't get the 930 as high oc as you can the 920 because of the odd multiplier.

Better at oc'ing usually means suicide runs...... Whoopdy dooooooo!

Heres a hexus review of 920 vs 930 oc'd.
HEXUS.net - Review :: Intel Core i7 930 CPU review - busting through 4GHz : Page - 9/11

A 1200 is way overkill still for 2 480's too. He wants 480's thats his issue.

^Edit^
I guess 1000+ is what a full system needs for 480's in SLI.

^Honestly, the 930 920 is a debate... i read half think the 920s better half think theres vno difference. The 930 has a been uped to 21x from the 20x of the 920. People say you can't get the 930 as high oc as you can the 920 because of the odd multiplier.

Better at oc'ing usually means suicide runs...... Whoopdy dooooooo!

Heres a hexus review of 920 vs 930 oc'd.
HEXUS.net - Review :: Intel Core i7 930 CPU review - busting through 4GHz : Page - 9/11

A 1200 is way overkill still for 2 480's too. He wants 480's thats his issue.

^Edit^
I guess 1000+ is what a full system needs for 480's in SLI.

Yah i may end up regretting going the nvidia route, but maybe not. Right now Nvidia is better at stock and has way more room for overvolting/overclocking. A few other things i am taking into consideration are: Nvidia encourages developers to make games that run better on Nvidia systems, and Nvidia provides much better driver support. 3D gaming may turn out to be pretty cool if done right too. Nvidia and ATI are just preference i guess. I prefer Nvidia this round.

Once i decided on Nvidia, the 80+ Gold PSU was more of a requirement, unless i made a decision right now to never add/upgrade/overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom