Core i7 build, need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have changed the ram timings to 9-9-9-24. The tRFC number(has not been changed yet) is at 92 according to cpu-z. What should that be changed too? Does that seem high to you? I assume I should leave the command rate alone.

92 does sound awful high, I would try running it around 71 or so. I would try adjusting the Command Rate if your still unstable, but don't make a lot of changes at at once. If you make a bunch of changes you won't know which changes actually made the difference.

I am still having trouble getting it stable at 4.1ghz. The ram timings are at 9-9-9-24-71-2t. OCCT fails within a minute. Is it possible I still need more volts? I am at 1.36 right now. I wouldn't think so because at 4.0ghz I was stable with 1.30 volts and the ram timings on the original settings.

Is it hard on the cpu to be under full load then instantly crash? I have crashed several times while trying to get it stable.

Try increasing a few other things across the board.
Bump up your PCIE frequency to 105
Set your ICH voltge to 1.2
Set your QPI/VTT to 1.35v
Keep your vcore at 1.36 for now too, definitely shouldn't need to go higher than that for a 4.2Ghz OC.

I have changed most of those settings except for the PCIE frequency. I could not find that, I found something to change the PCIE voltage.

I am running OCCT right now and so far I am running stable. It has been running for about a half an hour now and hasn't crashed. Before it would crash within a minute.

EDIT: Scratch that, right after I posted this, it crashed.

When it crashed did it BSOD (error code please), stop because of errors or just lock-up? We need to know exactly what happened in order to give you advice relating to the specific problem.

It does give me a BSOD but I don't remember what code it was. It automatically restarts, I need to change that if I can remember where.

If we can't get it stable, I may just go back to 4.0ghz since I am stable at that point with only 1.30 volts and everything at the original speeds. I am plenty happy with 4.0ghz. I am worried I might do something wrong or push it to hard and damage the processor.

Go to the Control Panel / System and Security / System / Advanced System Settings.

Click on the Advanced Tab and go to Startup and Recovery and click on the Settings button.

Uncheck the box labeled Automatically restart

Ok, here is the BSOD code: STOP: 0x00000124. Did you need all the numbers in parenthesis?

According to the i7 overclocking guide, it looks like I need to raise the CPU VTT voltage. Or could it be something else?

Does it make a difference what multiplier I am using? Right now I have the cpu multiplier set at 20. I read somewhere, can't remember where that it is better to use odd numbers.

According to CPU-z, the vcore is only running at 1.32 when I have it set to 1.36 in the bios. I assume this has something to do with vdroop. In my bios, I have three options for vdroop, standard(disables LLC and follows intel spec), level 1(enables LLC and slightly adjust vdroop) and level 2(enables LLC and moderately adjusts vdroop).

LLC=load line calibration

No it's not something else, thou some bios call the CPU VTT the QPI/DRAM Voltage.

Do you have Turbo enabled?? What setting are you using to get to 4.1GHz? 205 x 20=4100?? This is pushing your memory speeds up past 1600MHz which is probably causing your problem as the CPU VTT is the Memory Controller Voltage.

You should try enabling Turbo Mode which will give you a CPU Multiplier of 21 (after the system posts). Then you can try 195 x 21 = 4095 or you may even reach 200 x 21 = 4200 and your memory will still be at 1600MHz or slightly lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom