EVGA 01G-P3-1281-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA
SAMSUNG TOC T240 Rose Black 24'' 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel
Running vista 64

1st
The MOBO that I received was a dud and I am ready to replace it with something of equal or greater value.
(no I did not return it when I got it because the essentials worked. the ethernet does not work on it though.)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

2nd
When I built my rig and ran a test to look at my graphics it came back horrible! I was told by a few people on here to update firmware and all that good stuff so I did. After doing this it had a much better score but the graphics card starts running hot really really fast. At times during the test and when I "try" to run cyrsis with certain settings the card(I think) starts making a whining noise. I was told that with this rig, I should be able to run crysis at max settings with relative ease. Well I can but it makes the noise and after about 30-45 mins the computer freezes(the temps also get really hot, imo).

3rd
I am wanting to get either a new case with better airflow or a better heatsink or both.

I do not want my rig frying due to heat. The room I keep it in usually stays warm(not hot) due to poor AC.

Thanks

How hot are your temps getting? Have you tried turning the fan speed up on your video card by using EVGA Precision?

What kind of heatsink are you using now? Is it the stock heatsink?

Gigabyte's motherboards are known to make a whining noise occasionally, I don't think it's your graphics card, I have an ATI Radeon HD 5870 in mine (GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366 board) and it makes the occasional whine too, I don't think it is bad for the system, but it can be annoying sometimes.

The big issue is temps. WIth ATi you can easily set fan speed for the graphics card using the ATi drivers, but for nVidia there's a great utility called RivaTuner which lets you over/underclock your graphics card as well as tune fan speeds. Set the fan speed up until the temps stay under 60C, this is a very safe temperature range for graphics cards (they can usually handle higher without issue but keeping it under 60 maximizes the life of your card).

Also check your CPU temperature. On my Gigabyte board there's a green and red LED next to the CPU, the green LED indicates that the CPU is hotter than 60C, the red LED means it is hotter than 70C. The red LED should not come on unless you're under full load, if it is you should either try undervolting your CPU (undervolting is safe as it puts less electrical stress on the chip, but lowering the voltage can make your system unstable. I would start at around 1.00 V core voltage and run something CPU intense (either a stress test or Folding@Home SMP), it will probably crash, keep upping the voltage one step until it doesn't crash after hours of stress testing. I undervolted my i7 930 and now it never exceeds 70C under 100% load even with the stock heatsink.

I will check my temps tonight. Will try to play cyrsis or do the test again and check them.

Yes it is the stock heatsink

I will check on the lights and yes I have turned the fan speed up but did not notice a change. Will try this again as well I suppose.

I use to run the folding on mine while I was using and while I was asleep.. well 24/7 for a while, come to think of it even while I was playing crysis. Will check again.

Anyone ever changed out the stock fans on my case?

So finally ran 3Dmark again and here we go

13,399 is the 3DMarks
SM2.0 Scrore: 5809
HDR/SM3.0 Score: 5087
CPU Score: 4909
Ran it at a Res of 1280x1024

Calc programer I have no colored lights on my MOBO other then a Blue like where the on/off switch is on the motherboard itself.

I loaded up EVGA Precision to check my temps but I can not figure out where I use to see the temp displayed. I thought it was on the LCD screen on my keyboard but its not showing it.

Ideas or thoughts?

Edit:
Task manager is saying that 65% of my 6gigs of ram is being used. It is staying constant and not really moving like it usually does. It has never been that high.

Gigabyte's motherboards are known to make a whining noise occasionally, I don't think it's your graphics card, I have an ATI Radeon HD 5870 in mine (GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366 board) and it makes the occasional whine too, I don't think it is bad for the system, but it can be annoying sometimes.

The big issue is temps. WIth ATi you can easily set fan speed for the graphics card using the ATi drivers, but for nVidia there's a great utility called RivaTuner which lets you over/underclock your graphics card as well as tune fan speeds. Set the fan speed up until the temps stay under 60C, this is a very safe temperature range for graphics cards (they can usually handle higher without issue but keeping it under 60 maximizes the life of your card).

Also check your CPU temperature. On my Gigabyte board there's a green and red LED next to the CPU, the green LED indicates that the CPU is hotter than 60C, the red LED means it is hotter than 70C. The red LED should not come on unless you're under full load, if it is you should either try undervolting your CPU (undervolting is safe as it puts less electrical stress on the chip, but lowering the voltage can make your system unstable. I would start at around 1.00 V core voltage and run something CPU intense (either a stress test or Folding@Home SMP), it will probably crash, keep upping the voltage one step until it doesn't crash after hours of stress testing. I undervolted my i7 930 and now it never exceeds 70C under 100% load even with the stock heatsink.

I have the same motherboard as you and I have a question about the led lights. Are you talking about the lights that are right next to the first stick of ram towards the bottom? If so, you say the green led is only supposed to be on when the cpu temp is above 60 degrees. Well mine is staying on constantly and my temps are in the low 40's at idle and while gaming, it reaches the lower 60's. Why is that light staying on all the time?

I have the same motherboard as you and I have a question about the led lights. Are you talking about the lights that are right next to the first stick of ram towards the bottom? If so, you say the green led is only supposed to be on when the cpu temp is above 60 degrees. Well mine is staying on constantly and my temps are in the low 40's at idle and while gaming, it reaches the lower 60's. Why is that light staying on all the time?

Mine does not have lights where yours are unless they are not working or are not on..

Will try out HW monitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom