First Computer Build - Serious Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cabamalan

Solid State Member
So I just came over from the eggxpert forums and they were... of little help to say the least. I was hoping to get opinions on a build I'm trying for, I'm absolutely new, I don't really understand much yet in computer hardware, so this is both a learning and building experience. I have a variable budget, and I picked out a few pieces of hardware that seemed good to me. Now I don't know if they actually work together or not, so pointing that out would be great. I already have the Nine Hundred Two case, so that can't really be changed

I have been researching a bit and looking around and scooped up a bit of information and picked out some parts I thought were cheap, had good reviews and would provide the most bang

Case - Antec Nine Hundred Two - Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

OS - Windows 7 64 Bit - Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

CPU - AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard - Asus Evo 785G - Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Memory - Corsair XMS3 - Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

Power Supply - Cosair CMPSU 650tx 650w - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Graphics Card - XFX Radeon 5870 - Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNDC Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) XXX Edition 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I'll be picking up a monitor or two and a couple CD drives at Bestbuy. This is what I found to be what I seem to think are good picks. I'm not exactly sure

Looks good. I would get a smaller WD Black for the OS drive and use a big drive (1TB+) for files and storage, though.

Alright, thanks, I've been waiting for a reply for a while to say if I have a problem or not with anything that I've picked. I'll be ordering the parts on the 15th more than likely. Thanks for all your help

list looks good.

although, if you can buy some of the parts sooner, you could take advantage of this gfx card combo with another real good psu.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
it includes the non xxx 5870 which is what i suggest you buy because at its regular price of $410, they would be charging you $20 extra for the xxx which comes with a minimal OC that you can do yourself.

but apparently this 5870 is on sale over this weekend for $390 so that right there would be like $40 savings from the xxx version, but you can also save another $45 with this xfx 650w modular psu.

another good combo here which might last until the 15th.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.415649
x4 955 along with a different set of ddr3 1600 ram with better cas8 timings than the corsair you listed; combo saves you $30.

just a warning, even the 900 v2 aren't great at wire management.... Great airflow and cases, but bad wiring.

I'm with trotter, I lke 2 drives, if only for file safety. If one bonks, you don't lose evverything.

So I bought the card/psu combo but I didn't realize the car dealership I was with didn't charge my card so now my account is in the negative. So that'll set me back a couple weeks. But not a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom