$1,000 budget for a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

In Runtime
I don't know laptops AT ALL. Could anyone recommend a laptop with the described budget?

The purpose of the laptop is for business applications (MS office type stuff), web/e-mail, media (music, vids, pictures), and I guess some light graphics, but nothing crazy.

Of great importance is weight. This is for a friend of mine and she is quite tiny, so larger screens might be out of the question, but if one fits in the budget with a low weight / screen size, awesome!

You really don't need to spend $1000 on a laptop for basic computing tasks like those above. Unless she plans on storing loads of pictures, a fairly cheap laptop (or even a netbook) would suit her needs. I can't really recommend a good laptop right now, but could you describe what sort of graphic tasks she'd be doing?

AS Vish said, you don't need a $1000 laptop to do what she does. I think you would be just fine with a netbook. ASUS Eee is amongst my favorite.

I don't know laptops AT ALL. Could anyone recommend a laptop with the described budget?

The purpose of the laptop is for business applications (MS office type stuff), web/e-mail, media (music, vids, pictures), and I guess some light graphics, but nothing crazy.

Of great importance is weight. This is for a friend of mine and she is quite tiny, so larger screens might be out of the question, but if one fits in the budget with a low weight / screen size, awesome!

Hi there,

You should check out the Dell Studio 15. It is very affordable ($699) and it has a fast processor, 4 GB of RAM, and plenty of hard drive space. It will perform all the functions you described and although it has a nice 15.6" screen it only weights 5 1/2 lbs.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

You really don't need to spend $1000 on a laptop for basic computing tasks like those above. Unless she plans on storing loads of pictures, a fairly cheap laptop (or even a netbook) would suit her needs. I can't really recommend a good laptop right now, but could you describe what sort of graphic tasks she'd be doing?

Okay apparently she likes to play around in photoshop a whole lot. I don't really consider that gfx, but she doesn't really have the knowledge to describe things.

If $1,000 is ridiculous for this, what would you recommend for a lower price range?

So anyone have brand preferences and why? I'm leaning toward Asus or Toshiba.... cnet is just a god-awful review site that has never agreed with me. I tend to trust opinions here more than others....

C-net is pretty bad as a review site. They don't cover everything and talk about looks more than anything else. I've found this site to be pretty good: Notebookcheck: Reviews

I don't have a brand preference, though all of my laptops have somehow been Dells. I can say they are very reliable.

So anyone have brand preferences and why? I'm leaning toward Asus or Toshiba.... cnet is just a god-awful review site that has never agreed with me. I tend to trust opinions here more than others....

Hi there,

High end graphics probably aren't necessary if she isn't doing much video editing. However, I would focus on the specs more than the brand. You might want to check out the Dell Studio XPS 16. It has ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 graphics and a fast processor but it more affordable because of the deal that is being offered.

You can buy the Dell Studio XPS 16 and MS Office Home & Student for a bundle price of $1049 (until June 25th). Check out the full details here: Save $240 with a Dell XPS 16 & Office Home and Student. If she doesn't have Office already, this is a really great value.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom