Intel OEM processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I just found out that OEM processors are not covered by the 3 year warranty. I believe the cpu is bad in my old build and I contacted Intel support and they told me that OEM processors are not covered under warranty, only retail processors. Why are OEM processors not covered under warranty? That really ticked me off when I found this out. Did anybody else know this?

I don't know what to do with my old build. I might try to buy a e8400 or higher and give it to my dad. An e8400 would be plenty for what he does. He is using a Dell 2400 with a slow pentium 4 that is at least 7 years old. If I do give it to him, I would probably have to get a different case since he doesn't have that much room.

I have thought about buying another q6600 and just selling it. How much do you think I could get for it? Almost every piece of hardware is less than 6 months old except the memory and PSU. Everything else has been replaced.

OEM hardware/software is usually provided in bulk lots to big businesses/companies. The price for the hardware/software is less than the retail version, due usually to simpler packaging, 'special' bulk prices, etc.
Any extra or leftover units which didn't get sold are usually then sold to smaller retailers. Because of the lower price these units are available at, it is not good for the producing company to offer warranties on them (as the unit replacing the failed part would have sold for a higher price, therefore there is loss)

That and most processors warranties are voided if you don't use the stock heatsink and thermal paste, with an OEM not having a heatsink/thermal paste with it, you can't really use the stock heatsink designed for that processor. This is why I usually spend a few extra bucks to get the retail version if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom