PC dead after move

Status
Not open for further replies.

diazigy

Beta member
I just moved to a new apartment, and I transported my home built PC. When I set it up at my new place, it would not boot up. There would be a quick surge of power (the fans would speed up for 1/2 a second), followed by nothing. No POST beep, and the fans turned off.

I took everything out of the case, and tried booting up the computer on a wooden bench with no case with just the PSU, Motherboard, cpu, ram, and video card. The same quick surge of power happened when I turned the power on.

I was able to keep the power on permanetly under one condition. If I removed the video card and unplugged the auxiliary power to the CPU. Only then could I turn on and keep the power on. I tested another video card that I know works, and had the same problem, so it is not the video card.

I think the problem is with the motherboard or the power supply. I RMA'ed the motherboard once. I was very careful as to not bang or shake my PC during the move. It worked minutes before the move.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions before I start RMA'ing parts and waiting for the mail every day

Thank you!

My specs:

RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 Dual Channel
MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 790X AM3 RT
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W
VC: VGA HIS|H585F1GDG HD5850 1G
PSU: Mushkin Enhanced 550200 550W ATX12V SLI Ready Modular

It's usually best to remove the cpu heatsink before transporting. I would check out the mobo, around the socket, for stress cracks.

So the problem fixed itself.

I was doing tests to see under what conditions I could get the fans to stay on. Trying different combination of video cards, drives, and the ATX 12V connection.

At no time would the power stay on when the ATX 12V connection was plugged in, the power would come on for a quick surge and immediately die (about 1/2 a second).

I noticed when I plugged in only the hard drives that the power would come on for a little bit longer (about 1 second), and a weird "clicky" sound would come from the PSU, and the power would shut off.

Then, when I was repeating previous experiments, out of pure frustration, the power stayed on, and I got POST beep, and windows booted up! I unplugged and moved my computer back to the floor, and everything works great now. It turns on and off without a problem.

I have no idea what I did to fix it. I always made sure power connectors and cards were properly seated. I am going to buy a PSU tester regardless, I feel like this bizarre behavior could be caused by my PSU being on its way out.

Does anybody have a recommendation on what PSU to purchase?

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom