Computer upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricta

Beta member
Ok basically i just want a small upgrade to one component in my pc to make it somewhat better for a game i am currently playing because i can run it ok but sometimes i get low fps in it.

Motherboard: Asus P5N-D
Cpu: DualCore Intel Pentium D 940, 3200 MHz
Memory: 2gbs DDR2
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (256 MB)

Just wondering what component would be best to upgrade to get more fps in this game and i got a price range about 100-150$. Im guessing the graphics card but i dont kno much about computers... if its the graphics card i was wondering what card would be best buy for my price range.

Just for extra info the system requirements for the game is:
750 MB hard disk space
Windows XP or higher
3 GHz processor
1 GB RAM
GeForce 8800 or equivalent video card

I like nVidia cards, so I'd say go with this GTS 250 for ~$120. IIRC it's about equivalent of a 8800GTX, so it'll exceed the requirements.

Before you order, make sure your computer will actually support it though - it needs a nicely sized power supply (with a PCIE power cable, although it comes with an adaptor) and a PCI Express x16 port. Make sure your computer uses that instead of AGP - the cards are not interchangeable.

^the 250s a 9800gtx+ sorta like the 8800gtx, but abit more powerful, and alot more efficient.

Now at your price, you'll want an ATI. Better perforance vs dollars. A nice 5850 can be had at newegg for about 130 and will beat any nvidia for the price.
You need to see what size your psu is. Pop open the case and just read it off nthe side of the psu. Should be around 430W to run a new card.

Man you've got a nicer board and old other stuff. Your next update should be a new cpu, a C2D will destroy the pentium D.

Now at your price, you'll want an ATI. Better perforance vs dollars. A nice 5850 can be had at newegg for about 130 and will beat any nvidia for the price.

think you made a typo there.

i agree with Patonb, with your budget an ati card is your best bet as far as getting you more for your money.

but like Paton also mentioned, something else you need to check is if your power supply is capable of handling an upgraded gfx card. open up your case, and post the info that's on a sticker that's on the psu itself.

if it's a prebuilt like a dell, it will most likely come with a crap psu and you will need to upgrade that too. if this is the case with your pc, then i would suggest these parts.
Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP430 430W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.2 Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

but if you have a good psu already, then it would be a matter of how much you want to spend on a gfx card.

starting from the same card i listed above, a 4850
Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
then if you want to spend a little more, get a 5750,
Newegg.com - XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
or a little more still, a 5770.
Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR PCS+ AX5770 1GBD5-PPG Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card

^oops, yha 5750... myy bad.

He sad his mobo is the p5n-d, which is a 750i chipset.... I doubt its a dell or such... Its an od combo as its a 6600 gpu but ALSO ddr2 ram.

I figure a mish mash home brew.

Yea thanks for all the input its very helpful. and yea i built the computer years ago and parts have died and such. its getting old so i wana start upgrading. ^^

my old mobo went out about a year ago and i took it to a friend and he put the one i said in. so it would be the newest piece added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom