Acer Aspire Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jono2006

Baseband Member
G'day.

Just want to ask a quick question about my Aspire's battery as I have no real knowledge of these things.

Currently my Aspire 4736 has an Acer AS07A41 Li-on battery with a capacity of 4400mAh (I hope someone understands this as I do not). It lasts for about 3.5hrs on Ubuntu 10.04 and around 4.25hrs on Windows 7 (I dual boot).

Now, I use Ubuntu as my main OS and would like to get more battery life, since I'll be starting University soon and taking it to school with me. If I upgraded to a battery exactly the same, but with double the capacity (8800mAh), would someone be able to tell me if this would actually increase the battery life considerably or not?

Here is a link to the battery I'm looking at. Note: It is exactly the same as my current one except the capacity is larger.
http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au...s07a41-battery

Thanks for your time :)

Make sure it is exactly the same model number, and you are fine.

I actually downgraded my Dell 9-cell to a 6-cell. I hated the thing sticking out the back. I looked at it on the Dell website, carried that to eBay, found one with a 3 year warranty, and bought it for $30.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm actually wondering if anyone knows how much extra hours this new battery will give me over my current one. My current battery's life is listed in my original post.

If it's a used battery, you won't get that much more out of it. The more powerful battery should work at a better life time. Every battery is different.

Double the capacity should lead to double the battery life, give or take half an hour. You should get about 8 hours in Windows.

This is assuming the used battery is in mint condition, which is unlikely - you could get anywhere from the full 8 hours, to only a few hours. This is generally why it's not a great idea to buy used batteries.

Double the capacity should lead to double the battery life, give or take half an hour. You should get about 8 hours in Windows.

This is assuming the used battery is in mint condition, which is unlikely - you could get anywhere from the full 8 hours, to only a few hours. This is generally why it's not a great idea to buy used batteries.

Ah, cheers mate. Yeah, the battery I'm looking to buy will be a brand new 8800mAh capacity battery. And yeah, don't really use Windows but I'm hoping it should last around 7hrs at least on Ubuntu.

I will only be using it for tasks such as word processing and maybe internet research while on battery, so hopefully will maximise my battery life.

Thanks for the replies.

Indeed - Bluetooth is a common one that's left on, and you don't always need to use the WiFi so turn it off when you're not using it. Also, you don't always need to leave the screen at full brightness.

yup my gf has that battery it lasts a long time I think its somewhere around 8 hrs in windows, its a little bulky but you get some very nice battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom