xp wont find any modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzoreo

Solid State Member
well it all started about a month ago, i moved in with my gf, ditching my freedom for a life of slavery, ditching broadband for 56k connection, it all seemed pretty bleak, but now my computer wouldnt find the modem i had, i now have my gf on my back and my gfs mother on my back to get this fixed, so im in quite a jam, heres the problem.

i have a dynalink 56k external modem i had it working b4 i got broadband it worked fine, after having it tucked away for 9 months i have dusted it off and brought it back to life, or so i thought. im running windows xp, and i plug it in and install the drivers then i go modem properties then click on diagnostic or something like that and its ment to do a diagnostic to tell me my modem is working fine, but it says its not even there, i recheck everything plug it in and go from scratch and still no luck so i get another modem this one internal plug it in start up the computer and it doesnt even detect it, so i install generic drivers for it and still nothing the diagnostic comes up blank, so i go to hell with you, you dirty bastard, and format the computer thinking im so smart and everything gets fixed with format but no, even formatting the pc doesnt fix the problem, my computer just wont find modems, its like its shuned them for some reason, and i need to get it working so i can get the monkeys of my back, anyway if anyone knows anything that could help im open to ideas

ive got the most recent drivers though, they r a little old but its the best icould do from dynalinks site

ok, go to control panel. and click there, install new hardware.

choose from list (modem) ,

and when ask for drivers, choose I have disk, give location of that opened folder having the ini file of driver.

and it will definately show up. this thing happened to one ATI card used in my other systems, winXP wasnt recognising it, and i have to use this process, and it did.

it shows up and everything and it installs the drivers then in the modem properties it says its working fine, but dialing out and doing the diagnostics it tells me that its not connected

nzoreo said:
ive got the most recent drivers though, they r a little old but its the best icould do from dynalinks site

Firstly, you did download the Win XP drivers for modem? Not for any other version of Windows/Linux.

Which Dynalink Site? Make sure that the modem drivers are downloaded from your country's site, not from any other site that is international site.
IE. If you are in Australia, download from the Australian Dynalink Site. Not from any other country.
I have seen problem where people has tryied downloading the modem drivers for international sites, and in the end, they have not worked or detected the modem. (even if the model number is the same)

Also, try previous versions of the dynalink driver. I have seen that dynalink as been know to post older version of the drivers and some thing you need these over versions depending on when you purchased your modem (Mainly due to Dynalink changing their fermware).

It can be hard to find drivers for outdated hardware somtimes. nzoreo if you want to get the monkeys off your back and cannot locate the proper drivers you should go out and replace the modem. you can buy a cheap 56k modem at newegg.com for around $10-15 or you can check your local stores. it will include drivers for your new device, make sure the modem supports your operating system version

does it come up with a new hardware going into modem from control panel or does it say, when testing the modem, could not open port.... there's a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom