System Longevity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
So, I have a somewhat old desktop computer that I built awhile ago.

Important Stuff:
Athlon X2 4000+ (running at 2.7ghz) in this motherboard
4gb DDR2 RAM
GeForce 9800GT
550W Rosewill power supply
1920x1200 res Monitor

It'll play Crysis at..um...adequate settings, but I'm fairly sure I hear it crying if I turn up the res to 1920x1200.

I know it's not the fastest thing in the world anymore, and I'm alright with that for now - I'm just curious as to how long you all think it will be remotely competent for. Any ideas how Bioshock 2 or Mass Effect 2 will run on it?

Also, I'm fairly sure the processor is what's really limiting it, but the documentation on supported processors is fairly limited. Think I could get away with just upgrading the chip to a new AM2+ (maybe AM3?) one? Only problem with buying a new motherboard is that (AFAIK) I have to get new memory, and that's expensive now.

Your computer seems fine. The only thing that will be needed for change is processor. Maye check for intel i-7 serie. You'll surelly be pleased with them. For the rest, your comp is great.

You don't need a new mobo for a new cpu. I believe all the the new am3 socket cpu's from amd are backward compatible to am2+.

Regardless, your current system should be fine for about another 2 or so years if you don't mind turning the settings down. Games aren't going to get a huge performance req hike until new consoles come out. Unfortunately pc gamers are limited by the console market. Its what makes the money.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about Crysis. It is one game. If it is that important to you, wait until Crysis 2 comes out and then upgrade your pc. Prices on stuff should be a tad better by fall.

Well that's unfortunate. Regardless, I wouldn't upgrade before Crysis 2 come out.

no, yea i have, im on it now... but im getting the overclocking squared away and more ram and probably another 5870 so when crysis 2 comes out ill be able to play it handily

You know its supposed to be less demanding than the original, right? You don't need that extra stuff, especially the ram. Imo, this is a lot of money to spend for one game when your rig is already amazing. Why don't you wait until your performance slows in all games as a general trend?

I would upgrade to a AM2+ based board that will support AM3 CPUs. That way, you don't have to worry about buying new RAM, and you'll be able to do a nice upgrade. My cheap board, can support almost all AM3 CPU's, while still using DDR2. You should be able to find one for around $50-$80, and then a new CPU for anywhere from $70-$160. If you are going to upgrade your CPU, I highly suggest either a triple core, or quad core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom