Core i7 build, need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I don't understand is none of the case fans have a 3 or 4 pin mobo connection. So does this mean I will not be able to tell what RPM they are running at?

I am still waiting to get my computer back before I can get this one running.

EDIT: I just heard back from the guy that has my computer and he said he thinks it is the processor. I would have never thought it would be the processor. I thought those things were invincible. It should still be covered under warranty so it looks like I will be RMA'ing the processor. Anybody here ever had to RMA a processor? How is Intel's support? I never had to deal with them.

I finally got my new machine up and running. So far I am liking it. I can't believe how quiet it is. If I have the video card fan turned down, I can't hardly tell it is running. It is alot more quite than my old one.

Here is a screenshot. A few things I don't understand. Look at the +12v under voltages, it is only showing 2.11. That can't be right. I am hoping that is a false reading. Another thing is look at the three readings under Gigabyte DES. What does those mean? Also what does the power reading mean? Is that how many watts the processor is pulling right now?

I went into the bios and man there is alot more options. One thing I noticed is my ram is only running at 1066mhz when it should be at 1600. Do I just change the SPD to make it run at 1600? I also will probably have a few questions when I start to overclock.

Also my transfer speeds between the two Caviar Black drives are still kind of slow. It started out around 100 mb's and stayed there for a few minutes. Started installing the video driver and it got down to around 50 mb's. It started slowly going back up once the video driver finished installing. Would doing other things while it is transferring cause that much of a difference?

You need to change the Memory Ratio / Multiplier to 2:12 for 1600MHz. Your Base Clock is 133x12=1596. If you overclock then you'll need to refigure your memory ratio.

Gigabyte DES is a Green Tech or Power Saving Feature. I suspect it has something to do with the 12v reading being way low, but I'm just guessing. Personally I would disable DES, Intel Speedstep and all the Cx-Functions.

If I start overclocking, does that make the memory speed go up?

I just went into the bios and I think I disabled all of those things and it still only shows 3.6 volts. It's possible I could have missed something. Even while running OCCT, it only went up to 9 volts. I also noticed that the cpu clock ratio only goes up to 21 which would be 2.8ghz. How do I go up higher than that?

Here is a pic for you. I have not tried to put the side cover on yet but I would imagine I would have to take the fan mount out because it will probably hit the cpu cooler.

I just played BFBC2 last night and my fps was around 100 to 150 most of the time. I have not changed the video settings yet.

I am having trouble with a few things. One is the sound, I am using onboard sound and for some reason when I play BFBC2, I have to turn the volume up really high to be able to hear anything. When I watch a youtube video, I can have it at the normal level. I checked the settings in BFBC2 and turned everything up, I have checked all the levels under the sound settings and everything is turned up all the way. Also, I can not get all 5 speakers to work. 3 of them work but the 2 rear speakers do not work. I have it set on 5.1. Man I wish I could use my sound card, it has much better sound. I can't believe I didn't notice the mobo only has 1 pci slot. I guess I could sell it and buy a pci-e interface sound card.

Also I have a external enclosure and for some reason, when I try to connect with the esata cable, it will not recognize it, no matter which port I plug it into. It works fine with the usb cable. My mobo has a couple of esata/usb combo ports and when I plug the usb cable into one of them, it works. But if I plug the esata cable into the same one, it will not work.

I am looking to buy a fan controller so I can control the cpu fan speed and the additional fan I installed at the bottom. Is there any brands I should look for? I only need to control 2 fans but wouldn't hurt to have a couple extra spots.

And for the eSATA connection, make sure you're...
1. Powering the HDD externally. the eSATA connection won't do it
2. Using an eSATA cable to connect to the enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom