Motherboard Testing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

phade

Beta member
[Resolved] Motherboard Testing...

So here's my question, I have a HP Pavilion 7935 with a bad psu in it. I currently have a working psu however it's too big to place in the case and mount. I need to know if the motherboard is also gone before I spend any cash on replacing the psu. Here is the question, can I take my working psu and plug it up to the motherboard for a short period of time outside the case for testing or will this damage the board if it isn't already damaged? Here are some specs.

Old PSU: SPI FSP200-50SNV 200W
Working PSU: Turbolink LC-A420ATX
Mobo: ASUS A7V-VM (Congo)

What do you think? Would this be ok or will it damage the mobo if it isn't already?

Yes it is OK to hook it up outside of the case. Just be careful where you place it. You don't want it dropping and you don't want to have to touch it while it's in use.

Put it on top of a Antistatic bag if you have one.

You should never do that, actually, unless you turn the anti-static bag inside out. The outisde of the bag is meant to keept static out, so laying the board on top of the anti-static bag just makes it more dangerous. All this according to my brother who had to design/route circuits on boards, as well as go through specific precautions to prevent static discharge on parts he was working on.

That's one to remember, Carnage. Thanks.

What surface is recommended? Foam? I've seen people put it on their bed/chair, I'm like, NO!

I would probably say a wood surface would be the best, since wood doesn't conduct anything. Foam I could see working too; I have a thick (painter's?) tarp that I lay over my pool table in the basement where I usually work on a lot of computers, since I don't have a proper 'shop' lol.

Now I can't say that I've always remembered to take proper steps either...heck I've worked on my PC while wearing a fleece hoodie :lol:.

Anything that doesn't conduct electricity would be fine, so dry foam pads, wood tables, plastic, just about anything would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom