FPS issues in FPS games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperium

Solid State Member
Hello,
I recently boguht a new laptop after my previous one broke. It's the compaq 615, and for all the specs i can see should be able to run at pretty high graphics no issues, but i find myself having to find ways to lower my graphics significantly. So here are the specs from right clicking

4GB Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD Athlon X2 DualCore QL-66 2.2 GHz
39,6 cm (15.6") LED HD 16:9 widescreen BrightView (1366 x 768 resolution), 2 MP webcam
ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 3200 (Integrated Graphics)

Anything else? Really annoying me. Cheers for any help

Your Radeon 3200 is a low card. Being integrated as well, that further gimps it. Do you have the latest graphic drivers from ATI?

I hope that Windows 7 is x64.

Welcome to TF!

How do i find out the latest gfx drivers? I am pretty sure they are updated when I go to device manager if that is what you mean.

Also its x32 home premium.

Don't know if i would be able to convince my parents into an additional graphics card. Any ways to get anywhere for now?

You go straight to the ATI site:

AMD Support Search

Windows x32 will not read above ~3.5GB of RAM. That is system DDR2 RAM as well as your graphic card's RAM. You will need a x64 version to get more performance. If that laptop came with 4GB RAM and x32, the manufacturer is a total idiot.

You can NOT simply add a graphics card. That is integrated, meaning it is built into the motherboard. You would need a entirely new laptop.

Cheers for that link, installed it the exe and ran it, anything else i need to do with it?
Also the laptop came with 2GB RAM but was upgraded to 4. Losing 0.5 GB RAM doesn't seem like it would have a significant impact on the performance too.
I also thought you could use more than 1 graphics card in the case of integrated graphics, using some other space (not sure what it is called etc, was just some basic research)

Just install the drivers, and you're on your way. The program automatically installs the needed updated drivers.

If the graphic card is integrated, and doesn't have it's own dedicated memory, it uses the system RAM.

In a desktop motherboard, you can. In a laptop, space is limited. If the graphic card is integrated, there is no extra PCI-E slot.

MoM is right. There have a been a very few laptops put out that could have the GFX swapped, but those are very few and no longer made.Basically, whatever a lappy comes with is what you have.

With that said, a 3200 is not completely crappy as far as laptop go. It won't do much for high-end games, but it will handle most others fairly well. It should play WOW just fine but Crysis would be a completely different matter.

Yep master is totally correct on all cases. That laptop is just generally not for high end gaming, no normal laptop is. If you wanted to have a gaming system you really should have bought a desktop. There is nothing you can really do to increase its performance short of getting a new laptop or desktop. There are a few select laptops that had the capability to put in a new gpu but it is unlikely that yours is like that

EDIT: Ninja' ed by trotter :)

Thanks, Trotter and Luke.

There are those that come with replaceable GFX cards. They are only available by the manufacturer, as they are a specified shape and wattage.

The only things you can replace in a laptop are RAM, HDD, CD/DVD-ROM and in some cases, wireless cards.

Other than that, you need an intirely new laptop. A desktop is more configurable.

Yeah sorry mate, nothing we can really do to help you. You can either stick with the performance of that laptop, or get a new gaming laptop with a dedicated card or a desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom