help me get to 4ghz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
i have a AMD Phenom II 965 black edition Quad core processor on a Asus M4A79XTD EVO mother board. i have it stable at 3.8ghz at 1.50 volts. i have read everything i can find on google about getting this processor to 4ghz and apparently its pretty difficult. ive tried everything i can and i cant get it to boot let alone get it to be stable at anythign above 3.8ghz... i really dont know what im doing, so it could be a matter of switching something simple in the Bios and it'll work.

Also, would RAM timings have an effect on the ability to overclock a processor? if so how do i find out what my ram times are so i can see if that is what the problem is?

i have been unsuccessful, so im asking for help. any replies would be appreciated...

CPU-Z.jpg

Some CPUs just wont go any higher. They are all different. My AMD Phenom II x3 is maxed at 3.8 from 2.8 but i dont run it that high all the time. I leave it at 3.2 most of the time which is plenty for what I do even though it is stable at 3.8.SO in short that just might be the max.

The lower latencies improve ram performance but they can lower your cpu's overclocking potential.

The memory controller is built into the cpu. So when you run fast memory at low latencies you are working the memory controller harder than slower memory or relaxed latencies. The harder the memory controller works the more heat it produces. And since the memory controller is part of the cpu that heat affects the whole cpu.

There's a fine balancing line between cpu speed and memory speed. You can get your cpu speed to high in relation to the memory and lose performance. And you can have less cpu speed and more memory speed and lose performance. The Trick is to find just the right balance :D

well ... i will leave it alone, but first here are pictures of my bios, can anyone tell me if they see anything that isnt the way it should be?

CPUconfiguration.jpg

CPUoverclock.jpg

frequencyvoltage.jpg

memorytimingandvoltage.jpg

ram-1.jpg

Ram2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom