Retrieve Data from a Dead HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discusman

In Runtime
Hi All,

I have a 80GB Western Digital E/IDE Hard drive. It makes ticking sound and I have been using it as a slave HD. Now the HD is completed dead, windows XP wont even boot when this HD is connected to my primary master HD.

I was wondering how can I retrieve some of the data (Excel spreadsheet) from this dead HD. Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

I have a 80GB Western Digital E/IDE Hard drive. It makes ticking sound and I have been using it as a slave HD. Now the HD is completed dead, windows XP wont even boot when this HD is connected to my primary master HD.

I was wondering how can I retrieve some of the data (Excel spreadsheet) from this dead HD. Any idea?

Thanks in advance

You said you had it as a slave and it died; does it even recognize in the BIOS? Also what you meant by connected as a primary master...you mean as setting the drive as master and other as slave; if so it will not boot if the drive is dead. Have you tried a Linux LiveCD to see if you can still access the drive?

You could try the freezer trick to see if you could get some of the data off or not.

I disconnected the dead HD from my the master. Now the windows is working properly. I used to hit the F1 key to continue during boot up. Now I realized it was the bad HD caused the error message because BIO couldn't recognize the drive I guess.

I've never used any Linux or other trick to retrieve the data from a dead HD before. I may looking into it.

Thanks for the input.

Put hard drive in antistatic bag, then a freezer bag. Then leave hard drive in freezer over night.
Next morning, take hard drive out, let it warm up a little bit. Then slave it off another hard drive. As soon as you can see the hard drive again, just get what ever important data you may have ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom