Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce

Daemon Poster
Ok so I finally got a pc with windows 7 on it. I am trying to like it, but it's not really playing nice. The file sharing is absolutely horrible some of my xp boxes can access it and some get prompted for a password even though i told 7 to not require one. also everytime i reboot it likes to rearrange my desktop icons.

am i missing something?

Do the XP machines have the same network name as Win7? A long time ago, like before SP3, the network names used by XP during the install was MSHOME not WORKGROUP like Win7 uses. Do they match so the machines can see each other?

Did you turn on the file sharing in your network connections? Have you disabled the sort by type to stop Win7 from rearranging your icons?

For password-free sharing on windows 7 the easiest thing is to enable sharing for 'everyone' and then go to the security tab and allow 'everyone' full access as well. Also, in the network screen in control panel, click 'advanced sharing options' and turn off password-protected sharing.

Yeah they were all on the same workgroup. I got it working on them all now ( for one machine i had to put in the password but i just told it to remember it). i gave network read access instead of everyone that seemed to work better. Not sure why it still wants a password even though i specified not to require one.

For me, some things didn't work unless I required a password. It's been a while since I set my network up, so I don't even remember what it was.

There has been a bug since Vista that if you check the box to remember the password, it doesn't work. From what I've seen, they don't plan on fixing it, either. I don't know why they left that box in if it's never going to work.

I got lucky enough to be able to put 7 on all my computers, so I could just set up a homegroup. That makes things very easy.

It seems to all be working now. I was having the password issue when accessing the 7 box, so xp remembered the password fine.

7 is playing nicely now even with my ubuntu box :)

It seems to all be working now. I was having the password issue when accessing the 7 box, so xp remembered the password fine.

7 is playing nicely now even with my ubuntu box :)

Yeah, I was pretty surprised at how easy it is to network the latest Ubuntu with Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom