HDD click of doom | What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea I have the same scenario. I have the 2 drives and the one is still functioning perfect while the other is fried.

Btw, status update: I bought a SATA-USB cable and it clicks on spin up, and doesn't even show up on 'My Computer.' So I'm pretty much at a loss...

You never get the correct functionality using a usb adapter, most forensic utils wont even read a drive without a full ATA instruction set.

First off, let me say it's been a while since I've been on here. Sorry I've been gone so long everybody!

Now down to business: As you can read in the title I have the 'click'. *tears* I bought a pair of Seagate 7200.11 1TB drives for the build in my signature about 6-8 months ago. And it was a beautiful thing! There was disk space as far as the eye could see!

And then all of a sudden a few days ago, it started clicking on me. I've tried everything google could come up with to no avail. I've tried switching ports, power supply plugs, I've even tried freezing it and it still clicks!

At first it was just clicking and wouldn't show up in 'my computer'. Now I can't get past the Windows loading screen if it's plugged in.

So my question is... What now? I can't afford a data recovery service, but (stupid me) I didn't have any backups of any of the data on that drive (lesson learned), so it took all my music with it. Is there a way to recover the data without taking it somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

I had this happen to me not long ago. You still might be able to get the data off of it. You could try a usb to sata/ide adapter cable. Take the hard drive out and hook it up to another computer. You could also try putting the drive in an external drive enclosure. That is what I used and I was able to get all the data off of it. I have also used the sata/ide adapter cable for someone else and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom