install some sort of windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
ok, i have 2 options

install windows 2000 server
i have the cd, boot if, before i start install after i've chosen partition optinos and before format, it asks for a windows NT or windows NT server cd(this cd is not an upgrade) i have no NT cd is there anyway to get rid of it wanting the nt cd?

my other choice

compaq windows 2k sp2 cd, boot from it, says it will not run on the computer, i have the same type of cd only for windows xp and it works fine on my dell. so i go into the compaq 2k cd when looged into windows, i found a compaq folder on the cd, only had 2 files, so i reburned the cd without the compaq folder and now it won't even boot from the cd. i understand that that would've been obvious for anyone to try, but does anyone know a way to get by these issues so that i can install some sort of windows 2000?

thanks in advance.

There is something going on with that computer it shouldn't ask you for an nt cd it never has aksed me you might want to try to format in fat32 and see what it says

o, im sorry, i guess i dont set up partitions first, it loads the setup files then asks for NT before u can do anything to your hard drive. i pressed enter with the 2000 server cd in the drive just to see wat it did, it doesnt work but i guess it was looking for "dosnet.inf" which im guessing tells it whether or not its an NT cd or not, so if anyone could get me a copy of that file i could burn it to a cd and try to use that to get by... and thanks again for the help

Are you trying to upgrade an existing OS? Have you thought about reformatting the PC with FDISK first?

haha stupid me, i guess im just used to using the cd's partition manager

EDIT: still didnt work

i need an NT server 4.0 or an NT 3.51 cd.

if possible yes, im on XP pro right now, but i have 98, 98se, and me available, and a 95 cd somewhere with no serial

killians45 said:
just write zero's to the drive and then let the cd set the partitions and format

...zeroes??? explain a little further please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom