Just setup SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMiller8080

In Runtime
My second gtx 260 came in yesterday, so I got to work setting it up. I used the SLI ribbon bridge to connect them and ensured I had a good connection from the PSU (Corsair 750w). It took me a few tries of uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling the updated versions to finally get the "Your system is SLI capable" pop up message, but when I go it I went ahead an enabled SLI.

I tested it out (although I'm sure I haven't really configured it to its fullest potential) on a few games, and all seemed to be working fine. I turned the computer off for a little while, came back and booted it back up, and things were still fine. I turned it off again after a while to go watch a movie. Came back to play it later that night, and suddenly there was something wrong.

I came to a screen that gave me the option to start Windows normally, or start up Windows in some sort of repair mode. I tried to start it normally a few times, each of which just went through the typical screens (memory test screen and whatnot), then instead of coming the the Windows 7 log in screen would reset back to the first screen. Eventually it came to a blue screen with a warning. It advised me to uninstall any recent software or hardware I had recently installed.

I tried rebooting and this time chose to start Windows in that repair mode. It ended up "restoring" Windows back to the last known working state. Started up fine, but I was curious to know what was changed. I went to the Nvidia control panel, and my SLI option was gone.

What could be going wrong? In another post of mine it was established that I had already had slightly above average temperatures. Could the extra GPU have increased temps so much that Windows would do this? Also, my PSU is only 750w. Is that sufficient power for SLI? It was working fine, then it wasn't. :sad: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This is a fairly common problem :D

Go to Device Manager, Go to your Realtek Network Adapter and "Roll" the driver back to the original driver that came with Windows 7 :thumbsup:

Roll back the Realtek Network Adapter not the Nvidia Driver.

If, after rolling back the Realtek Network Adapter Driver, the systems does see both cards or SLI isn't an option. Then I would un-install and re-install the Nvidia Driver.

For some reason the newer Realtek drivers cause a conflict with the newer Nvidia drivers when SLI is enabled. I've had this problem since they switched from the 180 drivers to the 190 drivers. And it happened with my GTX 280's and my new GTX 480's and I've seen others with the same problem, that's how I finally figured it.

Nvidia has released a new Series of Drivers, the 257's. The 1st one is a beta, 257.15, and I haven't had a chance to see if the problem still exists with these.

Win7 64-bit NVIDIA DRIVERS 257.15 BETA

I haven't had a chance to do it yet, I've been at work all day. Can you clarify what you mean by "roll back"? Is that literally an option in the device manager interface?

So when I do this, assuming it works, I should receive the enable SLI message again?
Sorry if these questions seem obvious. It's my first time doing SLI. >.<

Oh, and just to make sure, is my 750w PSU sufficient enough for my build?

EDIT:
Nevermind about what you meant when you said "roll back". I need to make it the original driver that came with Windows 7, but when I go into the device manager is it pretty simple to do?

Go to Device Manager. Go to the Realtek Network Adapter (you may have 2 of them). Right click on the Adapter and choose Properties. Go to the Driver Tab and you should see an option to Roll Back Driver.

After you Roll Back the driver if you have 2 Adapters the system should of Rolled Backed both, but it doesn't hurt to double check it.

This should keep the system from blue screening when you start the system up with SLI enabled. If your SLI option doesn't return you should un-install the Nvidia Driver. Restart in Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper, select the NVIDIA - Display and the NVIDIA - PhysX and then Clean. Restart the system and install the new driver.
Guru3D - Driver Sweeper (no installer) download from Guru3D.com

NVIDIA DRIVERS 257.15 BETA

And yes, your power supply should be fine.

You should be able to. You might have to rep a few other people 1st if you have repped me lately :D

And your Welcome :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom