Computer turns off 5 seconds after I turn it on

Status
Not open for further replies.
sKaD connect the pc speaker next to the pin header where you connected the power switch, hdd lights, reset switch, etc. Boot your machine up and listen to the beeping. Describe it to us and we can find the error code for you. Most likely the CPU or memory was not seated properly. Also please list your motherboard make/ model

The motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-X

I have the speaker installed (correctly) but it doesn't give a code, if it did, then that would have been the first thing I would have posted. The computer really doesn't even stay on long enough for it to.

I bought everything, except the case, from NewEgg.com, I was reading their return policy and pretty much they have a 30-Day satisfaction gaurantee, I ordered the parts on Sept. 12th..

I can't test it with another CPU, due to I don't have another.

Thanks for all the replies guys

Pull out the mobo and connect just one RAM stick, a keyboard and your graphics card and see what your motherboard does then. If it still doesn't boot then it's definitely one of those pieces. My computer wouldn't boot, it'd power up but nothing, no post no nothing, turned out, when I had seated my ram a hair had fallin across the slot the RAM falls into so I pushed the hair in with the RAM.....shorted two circuits together and computer wouldn't boot. As soon as I pulled the hair out and reseated the RAM it started right up.

Don't suppose you have a digital camera? Then you could take a picture of this 'scratch' if it did indeed go across a circuit then yeah it's very likely that could have caused some damage, but we'd really need to see where it is and how bad it is to really tell. Also there ARE ways to repair that but it takes patience, a steady hand, and the will to do it I suppose. Usually need conductive paint and a razor blade.

i had a friend who's laptop did the same thing, reinstalling the OS fixed it. The only problem with that is you'll have to re-partition your hard drive and lose anything stored on it.

Nubius said:
Pull out the mobo and connect just one RAM stick, a keyboard and your graphics card and see what your motherboard does then. If it still doesn't boot then it's definitely one of those pieces. My computer wouldn't boot, it'd power up but nothing, no post no nothing, turned out, when I had seated my ram a hair had fallin across the slot the RAM falls into so I pushed the hair in with the RAM.....shorted two circuits together and computer wouldn't boot. As soon as I pulled the hair out and reseated the RAM it started right up.

Don't suppose you have a digital camera? Then you could take a picture of this 'scratch' if it did indeed go across a circuit then yeah it's very likely that could have caused some damage, but we'd really need to see where it is and how bad it is to really tell. Also there ARE ways to repair that but it takes patience, a steady hand, and the will to do it I suppose. Usually need conductive paint and a razor blade.

I have a camera phone, so I'm not sure if it will be good enough quality to be able to show you what it did, but worth the try. Hair is conductable?

I even have the ram chip out to see what would happen and it does the same thing :confused:

Akimbo said:
i had a friend who's laptop did the same thing, reinstalling the OS fixed it. The only problem with that is you'll have to re-partition your hard drive and lose anything stored on it.

You see, I haven't even installed the OS, I just put the computer together, it doesn't even go to BIOS, it starts for about 5 seconds, doesn't even trigger the monitor, then turns off.

thanks though

sKaD when you do what he suggested you should take it out of the case and put it on something non-conductive like foam, cardboard, etc. This rules out the possibilty of the motherboard shorting against the case. Hair is just protein, I don't think it would conduct electricity. Either way, no contact would still make the memory fail.

I have a camera phone, so I'm not sure if it will be good enough quality to be able to show you what it did, but worth the try. Hair is conductable?

And

Hair is just protein, I don't think it would conduct electricity. Either way, no contact would still make the memory fail.

Yes hair is conductive...it is made of protein but it also contains grease. If you don't believe me, and maybe this could have been a fluke in my machine...lay a piece of hair across your RAM slot then put in a stick of RAM and see if it still boots. That's all that happened to mine. The hair got pushed into the slot with the RAM and it shorted it just enough to cause it to not boot. So I will indeed beg to differ with 'no contact would still make the memory fail'

I'll have to post pics later tonight. It's a camera phone I never use, so I'll have to switch ou the sim card and such. Plus I have to go to work. so no time right now.

I would do what was listed about removing the MBD from the case with bare essentials only on it to make sure the MBD isn't grounding to the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom