phenom II 955 is slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelvvmm

In Runtime
Hi, I just got my 955 today and I installed it and I felt like playing Battlefield 2 and I turned everything on high but with no AA also at a resolution of 1440x900. It was REALLY laggy about 10 fps. My specs are:
amd phenom II 955 @stock
evga 8600gt (I know I know it sucks I will upgrade soon)
2 gigs of ddr2 memory

I saw some videos on bf2 running a dual core with a 8600gt and max with AA and they didnt have any lag.

You have an 8600gt..... of coarse you'll lag. Its a base level card. Whats your gpu temps? It might slow you down abit too.

If you seen videos of an 8600 running nicely, its probably overclocked, or they lied.

You need a better card most likely.

Oh, 1440x900 is a big resolution too.

the 8600gt is bottlenecking you computer. You'll need a faster video card to match your processor.

What size of video memory do you have? That'll definitely affect everything... Just because the game is CPU intensive, doesn't mean you can get away with a powerful CPU and slow GPU. Even if you have a powerful CPU, it still takes the GPU to process the graphics, so of course it'll slow down when maxed on a low end card. It's not the 955 that's slow, it's your GPU.

I highly doubt the video you saw was of an actual 8600GT and dual core maxed... I have a 4870 and a dual core (albeit not the fastest dual core), but even I have lag at LOW SETTINGS (1280x720, and ALL others set to LOW), and I have a more than capable GPU for this game. I get unplayable results at high settings.

I have 256 mb ddr3 vram. Are these good temps for the cpu and gpu are those normal temps for a noctua d14?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 313
When I play flight simulator x it only does it when im turning it does this weird thing that looks like im getting 10 fps even though im hitting 110fps (i had it on low settings) Ill try showing a video. It used to not do this I think it might be because of the bottleneking gpu. And are these good cpu temps for a 955 cpu with a Noctua D-14 CPU cooler?

When I play flight simulator x it only does it when im turning it does this weird thing that looks like im getting 10 fps even though im hitting 110fps (i had it on low settings) Ill try showing a video. It used to not do this I think it might be because of the bottleneking gpu. And are these good cpu temps for a 955 cpu with a Noctua D-14 CPU cooler?

That totally depends on your ambient temps, but as I see it now, no... I have a very cheap cooler, and I sit at around 31C idle and ~53C loaded. Are you positive you're getting 110fps? FRAPS is known to freeze the first digit, when FPS drops dramatically (Turning would do it, in FSX). You have an Nvidia card, so EVGA precision would give you a frame overlay (similar to FRAPS). Use both overlays to see if their readings are concurrent with eachother.

I dont use fraps with flight simulator x if you press ctrl-z it will show you the fps (it goes from 45-110 fps even when turning) I think i have higher temps because my cpu is a 125w and yours is a 65w. I got around 31 degrees with my old sempron and full load.

I dont use fraps with flight simulator x if you press ctrl-z it will show you the fps (it goes from 45-110 fps even when turning) I think i have higher temps because my cpu is a 125w and yours is a 65w. I got around 31 degrees with my old sempron and full load.

Sorry, I read GPU as CPU when looking at your image. Your temps are fine, but with the DH-14, you should see better temps.

On legitreviews' review of the DH-14, they had an overclock i7-920 (130W) running 3.5Ghz, at 36C idle, and 66C load. The test was performed in a room with ambient temps at 72F (22C).

BUT! As far as the temps go, you're well within the safe zone. Overclocking it may show otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom