Retail and OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

uNsaiN

In Runtime
I will be buying a new PC soon. Since this will be my first PC I have bought, I was wondering which parts should I get retail and which OEM? The reason I was wondering is because I need to know which parts come with the cables need to hook everything up. Like if I buy a Retail PSU will I need to buy Retail Hard Drives and CD-ROM's?

You can mix and match OEM parts with Retail parts. The only difference between the two is that:

OEM: Parts intended for a use in a pre-built system. Normally these parts don't include everything you would find in the retail package (manual, cables, etc.)

Retail: A part that you would buy at a retail computer store. Comes in full packaging with the complete package.

Some parts are better to buy retail, others are better to buy as OEM (since they are cheaper). Your safest bet is always retail, but if there's a significant price differential, you might want to try OEM.

I know the difference between them. Basically I need to know if a retail PSU and Mobo come with the cables to hook up all the drives?

uNsaiN said:
I know the difference between them. Basically I need to know if a retail PSU and Mobo come with the cables to hook up all the drives?

Well wherever you're getting them from should have what's included in the box, but my guess is that a PSU will come with 4-6 molex connectors, and the mobo will probly come with two IDE/SATA cables and a floppy cable. but that's probly all. Again, i'd advise you call the manufacturer or the retail outlet and ask them what's in the box

those parts which are critical, should be bought retail, like CPU (comes boxed and with fan and having 3 yrs warranty)

Mobo of course you'll fine retail. VGA card as well retail. else you can get everyother thing OEM.

Yeah, im with Blind_Arrow, get the CPU, MOBO, and Graphics Card Retail. Everything else, Ram, Optical Drives, Sound Cards ect.... get OEM. You will save money, and they don't come with anything extra even if you do buy them retail. With the optical drives you might get a copy of PowerDvD or Nero but thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom