Can I overclock my Intel core 2 quad q8200 2.33ghz higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinorMIx

Solid State Member
Eh people, just wondering if I can overclock my CPU higher for some gaming and I mean not like playing Crysis on a 24 inch monitor but just on a resolution of 1280x1024 on max settings. I've played it on 800x600 with around 30-38 fps :thumbsup:.

I know how to overclock it but it's just that it'll be my first time overclocking my core which is kinda scary.

First time on a forum so if I make any mistakes let me know :neutral:

overclocking your cpu will give you a few more frames per second in some games. You can gain a couple more frames by overclocking your video card. You'll probably need to upgrade your video card to gain any significant frames thou.

Welcome to TF, Minor!

It's your GPU that will give you performance in games, not your CPU.

Your CPU will give you faster processing time, but it won't play at a higher screen resolution.

Edit: as Slaymate said, you won't get much performance out of it. Your CPU looks fine. Just get a better GFX card.

Will a Nvidia 9800GT 1gb do the trick? That's what I have and I've overlcocked a bit from Core Clock 550 to 602 the Shader Clock 1375 to 1505. I just wanna play Assassin's creed 2. If only there was a program that can monitor the FPS I'm getting while playing a game.

Question, If I overclock my video card would I have to increase the voltage? I heard if you don't it could damage the card or make your computer very unstable.

No you don't have to increase the voltage to overclock your video card. If it's unstable or artifacting then you have overclocked it to much. You can use EVGA Precision to overclock your gpu core and memory speeds, set your fan speeds and you can also set it up to monitor your gpu temperature and fps in game.

EVGA Precision 1.9.4 download from Guru3D.com

What video card should I get? I prefer Nvidia only and my psu is only 550 watts. Around $100 to $200 would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom