New Motherboard, No Display Though. Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aright I'm coming into this thread a little late so if something has been suggested sorry.

Have you made sure to disable your onboard video in your BIOS with your new card (assuming you have onboard)? Beyond doing that did you make sure to set your main graphics adapter to AGP from PCI.

To really troubleshoot, pull the motherboard out of the case and just plug in the video card, one stick of memory, and the keyboard (obviously make sure your motherboard is somewhere where it won't be statically charged....hell hang it from some string where the screws would go if you could lol just don't hit it with your head while it's running. Doing that should help to identify where the problem lies.

BTW: After re-reading the bigger paragraph above, just because power goes to your system doesn't mean your CPU is infact working. Don't suppose you have another CPU to try out do you?

Are you sure your computer is actually booting up? You can usually tell if it's actually booting and getting into windows just by listening to the HD without actually even seeing it. Hell you could put in your normal desktop speakers and listen for the windows chime that plays when it starts up. Then I suppose you'd know 100% sure that the computer is booting up but it's just the display that's not showing.

At this point it seems you have some hardware conflict that's keeping your computer from booting. If you turn on your computer and you don't get any beeps, no noise, no nothing except power to your fans and basically the entire system then chances are it's the CPU or RAM. And taking the RAM out won't do anything but cause your system to not boot up once again and no you shouldn't expect a beep with no RAM in it. I believe some boards will but perhaps yours wont. I had a stick of RAM that was giving me problems and I got no beeps either. I simply had to reseat it because a hair had fallin across the slot you seat it in.

It definitely sounds like it's not your graphics card since you've tried a friends. Now get that friends CPU and RAM and start switching them out :p

It must be one of the two then. I'm pretty sure it's not the CPU...I bought it and it came with the box, fan, brand new, etc.

I really think it's the RAM though. It's 256MB of DDR RAM, I think it goes 2700. It works on the computer I'm running now to type this, but when I put it in the other board, like I said, there is no difference at all. You wont notice a different if you turn on the computer with the stick of RAM and again without.

Mabye the board just does not like that type of RAM I have? I'm hoping it's just RAM. No, I dont have another CPU laying around anywere lol. Hopefully I still have the reciet for the P4, just incase, but I dont really think that's the problem, not sure though. Wait....my father has a 2.0Ghz Pentuim 4. It does not requite the ATX-12Volt power cable either, so could I boot without that cord plugged in? I'll do that sometime later.

I recorded a short video of my motherboard if it helps....There is no RAM in it during the recording but if you notice anything different let me know. Motherboard Video (Right Click Save as, 2MB)

And some pictures...It's hard with the webcam I have lol

Jumpers.jpg

AGPCard.jpg

CPUFan.jpg

NoRAM.jpg

No RAM because I had to put the 256MB RAM in the computer I was using to take these pictures.

b.jpg

I'lll get more specs on the RAM in just a sec.

if you could take the last picture again, that one is blurred

that is the one, that has all of your stuff

take one of your agp and pci slots too.

Back....In a second I'm going down to CompUSA and they can indentify the problem. I'll let them test it with their own RAM, CPU, etc and we can figure out whats up from there.

Have you dont the above suggested? And when he says remove the MBD from the case, that doesn't mean lean it against the case or have it "mostly" out, because its STILL touching the case!!!! Put it on a non conductive and static free surface (as in NOT carpet!!) with ONLY the vid, processor, memory and HDD and try it (and NO keyboard or mouse or anything, not a cd drive or floppy drive!!!). See what happens. If it boots, then you can narrow down the trouble, also make SURE you're careful about ESD...

Alright...I could not possibly find the problem so I dropped off the entire computer to CompUSA and my father paid an entire 100 bucks for them to find the problem.

They found the problem and on the paper report it said then processer was bad and needed to be replaced, they tested my processer in a different computer and it did not work, and they used one of theirs (I dunno which processer exactly I'm about to call) and there own processer apartently worked in my motherboard and it was able to "post" as they call it....which means boot I believe.

So...I took the 3.0Ghz chip back to Fry's (do you know how many times I've been there lol argg) and replaced it with a new one. When I picked up the computer from CompUSA I asked them if I got a working processer, would it boot up? They said yes.

Well I seriously doubt the second processer I got doesnt work. I'm pretty sure it does because when it's inserted, the hard drive light shows up, it does not do that when there is no processer. Processer also warms up, so I have a feeling it works. (The first one did the same too!, I'm starting to think the first one worked)

So did CompUSA give me a false report? I'm not sure. But I'm about to call and it's not going to be a good conversation. This is the second FIC 865 Dynasty (P4-865PE MAX, Link: http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/INTEL/P4-865PEMAX.aspx) motherboard so I'm sure it's not a bad board, and I'm sure it's not a bad CPU, and the RAM works fine, and the video card works fine on any other computer. I'm truley lost again.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? I really need some help :(

Like I said....I'm about to call.

I've been without a computer since I started this topic....it really sucks.

Edit: This is the processer, "Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology"

I checked the CPU test table...and it supports 2.0ghz Celeron, I know someone with that chip...should I still test it? I'm afraid the board will do something to the chip though.

Also BTW: Is your CPU a Celeron? because if it is the motherboard you linked to DOES NOT support it....which would be the cause of your problems. It supports up to a 2.8GHz which obviously a 3.0GHz is PAST that.....I know nothing of Intels so just by P4 3.0E GHz tells me nothing. Whats the actual model of your CPU. If it's Celeron your problem lies there and you need a 2.8GHz chip. Otherwise it should be able to support it.

I checked the CPU test table...and it supports 2.0ghz Celeron, I know someone with that chip...should I still test it? I'm afraid the board will do something to the chip though.

Like I said...the link you provided says it supports up to 2.8GHz Celeron so your 3.0GHz wouldn't work, but hell I don't know intels. Also putting your friends 2.0GHz celeron in there would NOT harm the chip even if the board was bad unless it had extreme voltage issues and just decided to fry anything put into it. Especially if the board has just been replaced.

Well I wouldn't doubt compaq give you a BS report. They try very little troubleshooting techniques and are quick to blame parts and claim you need a new one. You should have listened to my long thread of suggestions up there.

*TAKE THE DAMN MOTHERBOARD COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN SYSTEM*

Quit wasting money on compaq...if you want real troubleshooting hell send the computer to me and pay me to do it. If they said it would POST (which is a little different than actual booting up) then the motherboard is working properly....if you've got a new CPU then that should be working properly as the chances of getting two CPU's in a row that don't work are pretty slim.

BTW: How are you 'feeling' your processor? Your hands shouldn't be anywhere in the damn case when it's on, especially if you don't know what you are doing. Have you properly seated your heatsink and put on thermal compound!?!

It sounds like you're not listening to enough of our suggestions and trying them out thoroughly which is a shame because you probably could have had this solved by now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom