i7 processor in laptop question

Status
Not open for further replies.

atoncl

Beta member
I'm finally looking to upgrade my laptop.

I guess my major question is the majority of the new laptops with i7 processors are the 720 series which has a clock of 1.6Ghz but it says can be run at up to 2.8 GHZ. does this mean it will run at 1.6 unless I overclock it in the BIOS or it will automatically up its speed if needed?

I'm looking at this ASUS G51JX

Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G51JX-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M

I'm not a huge gamer but would like to run modern Warfare 2 and stuff of that level on it(currently the most intense game my comp can run is star wars battlefront 2)

I am a computer engineering student and use a lot of intensive software as well.

I'm fairly set on this asus, unless anyone can recommend anything else. there was a solid HP too.
Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv6-2190us NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M

but the asus has the better graphics card.

Thoughts anybody?

Welcome to TF!

I wouldn't go with HP. ASUS is my #1.

I belive the CPU needs to be overclocked to be faster. Some manufacturers shut that option off in BIOS, to save you from breaking the board. I would just leave it as is. That isn't a huge jump.

I said I believe, I wasn't sure. I just slightly knew that technology.

ASUS is better in my opinion. Both are solid systems, though.

So essentially, I can assume that that i7 is a 2.8 Ghz clock that hangs out at 1.6 to save power?

That's actually pretty cool, and yea I think the ASUS is the winner, my only problem with them is low bat life, size and heat... but I guess I'm looking at power house computer so that is what I have to deal with.

Never heard a heat problem with ASUS. Battery life is a problem with any laptop. They may have more cells, but they weigh more, too.

This one is even faster for gaming and cheaper:

Asus - Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor - Black - G72GX-RBBX05

I'd say its the "bestbuy."

The first laptop has a 360 and a faster cpu. You dont need 6gb of ram for gaming really.

Really, core i is so advanced it kinda stomps almost anything. In all reality a faster Core 2 Duo would do good for most all games but clock speed is where its at there. I have a p8400 and it hangs in everything but Supreme Commander where i need to use my i5 rig to use over 1000 units. If you can find something with an i7 620 it has a faster default and turbo clock speed but lacks in i think 2mb L3 which isnt that bad (6 to 4 i believe). I believe that CPU would be better IMO.

A hint for battery life usually is the better the architecture (mobile) the more battery life GENERALLY. A core i chip will usually use less tdp but also be faster when using turbo during heavy apps or games. With a p8400 and an OCed 9800m GTS in my Gateway on battery i get about an hour and 45 minutes. Over 2.5 - 3 with no OC on GPU and power saving features enabled. Thats not really to bad considering is a "gaming" laptop with a 17" screen but i also have an SSD in it and the HD is shut off unless being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom