Which card is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what you don't factor in is its size as well.

Those chips are suppose to be quite dsecent, and its a combination of size and game ability, what makes it great.

Yes its not the best laptop, but its sized as a netbook, and runs like one if you want it too. BUT can play serious games as well.

the mx15 is 3 timeds bigger, and as expected, that much more powerful.

Idk what bottlenecks who more. The pentium bottlenecking the 355, or the slow 355 making that pentium seem fast. To make the m11x anything close to good it will be around a grand. For that much you can get an m15x with a core i chip instead.

To get the M11x to cost a grand I assume you are getting the SU7300 instead of the default SU4100. The only difference between those two cpus is 1mb of l2 cache which will have little impact on performance and isn't close to worth the $100 price increase.

The M15x may be faster but it's also a bulky, overweight system that weighs twice as much as the M11x and has significantly worse battery life. You couldn't pay me to use the M15x as my primary laptop.

To get the M11x to cost a grand I assume you are getting the SU7300 instead of the default SU4100. The only difference between those two cpus is 1mb of l2 cache which will have little impact on performance and isn't close to worth the $100 price increase.

The M15x may be faster but it's also a bulky, overweight system that weighs twice as much as the M11x and has significantly worse battery life. You couldn't pay me to use the M15x as my primary laptop.

Except you guys arent factoring in that he never said he wanted something as small as a netbook. He wants a laptop for gaming, keyword laptop. I dont know about you, but i wouldnt want to serious game on something thats 11"s. And if he wants a laptop for primary purpose of gaming then i dont think size matters either. I think all he wants is the best bang for his buck which would be that Asus or an m15x with a Core i chip. Most laptop GPUs are bottlenecked by cpu power. Before i got my current laptop when i pin modded my old laptop it i got alot more performance than simply overclocking the GPU. So with this being said, getting a core i chip in a laptop would be his best bet but i tend to want to avoid Alienware like the plague.

Except you guys arent factoring in that he never said he wanted something as small as a netbook. He wants a laptop for gaming, keyword laptop. I dont know about you, but i wouldnt want to serious game on something thats 11"s. And if he wants a laptop for primary purpose of gaming then i dont think size matters either. I think all he wants is the best bang for his buck which would be that Asus or an m15x with a Core i chip. Most laptop GPUs are bottlenecked by cpu power. Before i got my current laptop when i pin modded my old laptop it i got alot more performance than simply overclocking the GPU. So with this being said, getting a core i chip in a laptop would be his best bet but i tend to want to avoid Alienware like the plague.

He never said he wanted a system that's portable in name only either. Personally I wouldn't want to carry around a obese system that is utterly incapable of gaming on the go like the M15x. If size really doesn't matter he should consider getting a desktop for gaming and a netbook for using on the go since that would give him one system that's well suited to each task instead of a single system that fails at both mobility and gaming like the M15x.

To be honest I don't think there is a single component in a gaming laptop that isn't a bottleneck when compared to a modern desktop. However the cpu is not the primary bottleneck. If you look at this Anandtech article the M11x with a SU7300 and GT335M usually beats the U30Jc's i3-350M and Geforce 310M in most games indicating the gpu is the biggest bottleneck. I realize the M11x was overclocked in those tests but as far as I'm concerned that is fair game since it's BIOS allows overclocking.

the biggest bottleneck in computing is hard drives, even SSDs are not as fast as they could be, and they are laden with problems (like limited write cycles, power consumption issues, controller stability, etc.)

^Actually folks... This is one of his 3 threads where he was looking fror a system under $800 Canadian. Which the mx11 was close to.

If you haven't frollowed the other threads... you'll be lost.

Hes now jumped his budget to 1000 cdn.

the biggest bottleneck in computing is hard drives, even SSDs are not as fast as they could be, and they are laden with problems (like limited write cycles, power consumption issues, controller stability, etc.)

I agree hard drives are the biggest bottleneck however there is nothing wrong with current SSDs. A quality SSD uses less power, runs cooler, and is more reliable than any consumer had drive on the market wile delivering performance that's an order of magnitude better. The limited write cycles issue is completely blown out of proportion especially when you consider that most SSDs are used as OS drives, besides it's not like mechanical hard drives are known for their reliability.

^Actually folks... This is one of his 3 threads where he was looking fror a system under $800 Canadian. Which the mx11 was close to.

If you haven't frollowed the other threads... you'll be lost.

Hes now jumped his budget to 1000 cdn.

In that case, the m11x looks better budget wise. The 16" would probably be better for gaming though. Personally, I would go with what somebody has already said and just keep an lcd at home. On the other hand, if you have an lcd TV at home, I say get an HDMI cord and plug that bad boy into that. Top it off with a wireless mouse and keyboard and you'll be set. Although wireless mice and keyboards have a slower reaction time than their wired cousins. You probably won't really notice a difference, but who knows. Btw, don't single out something simply because of its brand, unless it's Acer(**** you Acer). Alienware may be overpriced, but the m11x was created with budgets in mind.

He never said he wanted a system that's portable in name only either. Personally I wouldn't want to carry around a obese system that is utterly incapable of gaming on the go like the M15x. If size really doesn't matter he should consider getting a desktop for gaming and a netbook for using on the go since that would give him one system that's well suited to each task instead of a single system that fails at both mobility and gaming like the M15x.

To be honest I don't think there is a single component in a gaming laptop that isn't a bottleneck when compared to a modern desktop. However the cpu is not the primary bottleneck. If you look at this Anandtech article the M11x with a SU7300 and GT335M usually beats the U30Jc's i3-350M and Geforce 310M in most games indicating the gpu is the biggest bottleneck. I realize the M11x was overclocked in those tests but as far as I'm concerned that is fair game since it's BIOS allows overclocking.

I have an "obese" system and im capable of gaming and the m15x has better chips that use less power so there would be more gaming life on batter. I can game over an hour straight on my laptop and it has a p8400 and an OCed 9800m GTS. My only problem is i prefer gaming in a chair in front of a 23/24" screen so therefor i cant stare at my 17" laptop for more than an hour. So, i dont really see your point here. If you want a laptop for gaming then portability or therefor battery life is really outa the question. If you start getting a laptop with more battery life enchaining technologies then the Core 2 Duo and older Nvidia/ATI mobility graphics start going out the window which is why i was suggesting a laptop with a core i chip instead. On the flipside if you want portability and battery life then i suggest looking at netbooks and get a desktop for gaming. In the beginning of this particular thread (havent looked at the others) he specifically asked for gaming, not portability or batter life. So thats the advice i gave him. And dont forget the fact that i said, id rather stray AWAY from Alienware. Bloated pieces of overpriced plastic crap IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom