PC Build / Upgrading help

Status
Not open for further replies.

h4ckf1r3

Beta member
Hello everyone, I'm a new member here but have some experience with computers. An easy explanation of my problem is back in 2007 i bought a Dell Xps 410 ( intel 2.8ghz dual core/ nvidia geforce 7300 LE graphics card) back then i told it was one of the best made gaming computers of its time by the rent-to-own store. Well it is now 2010 and lets just say its not holding up to well, i had to replace the graphics card for a ATI radeon 4650 HD, and add 4 GB's of new ram.

I enjoy gaming, CoD MW & MW2, BFBC2, etc.. but the computer cant handle the newer games comming out. (I blame the cpu).

After doing some shopping on Newegg for combo deals, came across these 3 items which caught my eye, i dont wanna spend big but i want to at least be able to play games with a a high frame rate and work from there.

The Items are....
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! (MB & CPU)

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply (Case & PSU)

Now my question is, The PSU that comes with the case is a 20+4pin but the MB says Power Pin - 24 Pin. Will the PSU work for the MB. Also, what do you guys think about the listed items (more concerned about the MB/CPU thoughts).

Another thing i noticed is that in the images of the Case, the rear of it where the outlets of the pci slots, plug-ins for audio, mouse, keyboard, etc.. look entirely different from what the motherboard puts out, is that just a advertising image that doesnt show the proper spaces for the said areas, or do i need to shop for a different case?

As previously stated, i just want something that'll be a deffinate boost from this almost stock Dell XPS 410. (oh and go ahead and laugh at me, i know the computer sucks now-a-days)

On another note, im completely baffled by this. I tried looking this up and im having no luck. This MB is "micro atx", now i have no idea what the difference micro atx and atx is. I guess another question i wondering is how would this perform in terms with gaming, like the games listed above. I dont want to do a full out upgrade to ddr3, sorta on a budget. and this is all i need to replace. Ive got my ati radeon 4650 hd, my 4 gbs of ddr2 240pin ram, cd drives, hard drivers etc... but when looking up for a case for this that comes with a PSU i cannot find a mid/full tower, only those ugly small tiny things. =[

On another note, im completely baffled by this. I tried looking this up and im having no luck. This MB is "micro atx", now i have no idea what the difference micro atx and atx is. I guess another question i wondering is how would this perform in terms with gaming, like the games listed above. I dont want to do a full out upgrade to ddr3, sorta on a budget. and this is all i need to replace. Ive got my ati radeon 4650 hd, my 4 gbs of ddr2 240pin ram, cd drives, hard drivers etc... but when looking up for a case for this that comes with a PSU i cannot find a mid/full tower, only those ugly small tiny things. =[

They will work, very well probably! Btw, micro ATX is what is called a "form factor", basically it is the size and type of the Mobo. The other form factors i know of are BTX, ITX and ATX.

They will work, very well probably! Btw, micro ATX is what is called a "form factor", basically it is the size and type of the Mobo. The other form factors i know of are BTX, ITX and ATX.

Okay so this will be a major upgrade compared to my current listed computer as far as performance? Also yeah i was doing research on that and i guess i need to get a case that is micro atx compatible. I see 2 different types though, one shaped like a box the others are like regular towers, i dont plan on OC'ing and if i do itll be a small amount not major. thoughts on the towers vs box shaped?

Newegg.com - APEVIA X-QPACK2-BL/500 Black/ Blue Aluminum Body/ Front Mask MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 500W Power Supply this was another case i was looking at but the pin type of the PSU is not listed. like the (20+4) thing.

Also, the layout on the back of the case will be different. That is just a Universal Back Plate/IO Shield, you will have to replace it with the one that comes with your Mobo. See this image.
You basically just pop out the I/O Shield from the case, and stick the one from the mobo in it :)

Good Luck!
JSzaday

yes, a 20+4 pin connection will work in a 24 pin. psus that come with a 20+4 pin are for compatibility reasons; older mobos only have a 20 pin so this way, the extra 4 can just be detached.

and like JSzaday mentioned, m-atx (micro atx) and atx are some of the different mobo form factors (like their shape and size). usually just about any mid tower will support atx and m-atx mobos, but if you get like a micro tower, it will only support m-atx mobos and not atx because it would be too big. the case you picked would work fine.

and no you will not need to pick a different case. like was also mentioned above, what you're reffering to is the rear i/o sheild. you don't have to worry it though, the one that comes with the case is easily removable and your mobo will come with the appropriate one to put in its place.

now regarding your parts choices; you can still get that case, just don't get it with the psu. usually the psus that come bundled in with cases like that are crappy quality.

heres your case w/o the psu.
Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case
i would get that and a seperate, better psu.

also, i don't really think a cpu and mobo upgrade will help you that much with gaming. you have a decent cpu, so i think what's really holding you back is your lower-end 4650.

you can still get a new case if you want, but i would take that money you would be spending on a new cpu and mobo and put it towards a better psu and a gfx card, like these.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

hm. when i searched the model you listed, dell specs show that you should have a c2d e6xxx cpu.

well i still stand by my original suggestion of upgrading the gfx card instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom