CPU Not Cooling Properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jehjeh3711

Solid State Member
I posted this in another thread where somebody was asking close to the same question, but I am going to post it here, so as not to detract from his answers.:sweat:

My cpu isn't exactly overheating, but it runs around 65c while just doing normal stuff. I replaced the fan with a new fan:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Vortex 752 RR-CCH-P912-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
But it's still running around 65c while just doing regular things. Now it doesn't seem to be running much hotter while playing Battlefield Bad Company 2, but it should be cooler than the stock fan, correct? I tried to contact cooler master, but they don't answer e-mails and there's nobody on their live help links, so I guess I'm on my own, unless somebody can help.
When I put in the fan I used the thermal grease that came with it and put a dollop about the size of a quarter on the cpu and pushed the fan on, moving around and around a couple times. Unfortunately I can't see under the heatsink to see if it was oozing out or if there was proper coverage.
Rather than using the grease is there like a heat conducting pad that could be stuck on the cpu instead?
Also, why doesn't coolermaster have a decent customer service help desk?
Let me know. Thank you.

Hi,

You can use thermal pads which are easier to apply, but thermal compounds (especially Arctic Silver 5) have good thermal conductivity and are recommended. Make sure that whenever you remove the heatsink from the CPU, you thoroughly clean off the existing thermal interface material from both the surface of the CPU and bottom of the heatsink, before apply a fresh layer, and re-installing the heatsink.

Some details about your rig would be useful :). What are your system specifications? How many case fans are installed, what are their sizes, and where are they placed? How many fans does your PSU have, and what size(s)?

Also, have you checked your system processes to make sure there aren't any anomalies (i.e. processes using abnormally high CPU resources) and what are your other system temperature readings when idle? –> If possible, check your system temperatures within the BIOS settings.

a rice grain size? for realz? or like a pea size?

also i didnt think you could use too much of it

Correct. A rice grain size.

Remember, you only need a very thin layer, just enough to fill the microscopic valleys on both conductive surfaces. Over application of thermal paste will result in reduced thermal conductivity.

just so there is no miss communication, you are saying, when putting a CPU cooler on, and applying the thermal paste, only use an amount the size of a single grain of rice...?

Pea and rice are about the same size.

And you can use to much, as the paste is only ment to fill in the micro voids between the 2 surfaces. Too much causes less metal on metal, and lower heat transfer rate, thus you can't remove the heat from the chip to the heat sink.

Edit

Wow, I'm slow... Did a quick google search just to give some back ground links, and blam, to new posts......

Yes only a rice size down the middle, give a 1/8th turn to squish, then attach securely.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/methods.html

Thank you guys for your quick replies. I think I did use too much, now that you mention it. I'll have to pull it off and clean it up. I'll get some of the recommended compound and try that as well while I'm at it. As far as specs, it's an almost stock Compaq Presario with an AMD 64x2 5400 CPU. When I say almost stock I mean that I have a Nvidia GTX 260 (Core 216) GPU and a Soundblaster Xtreme Gamer Sound Card. For the 260 I had to buy a bigger PSU 750w to be exact, because I needed two power cables for the card. Both the PSU and the gpu have their own fans and the gpu works at a lower temperature than the CPU, so I know that fan is working right. It also sucks air inside the case and diverts it out the back of the case. Other than that I have an aftermarket case fan that blows air out of the case and pulls it in through the two side vents, which I have recently cleaned (believe it or not the presario does not come with a case fan). Like I said I replaced the stock cpu fan with the vortex 725, but when I was looking at it the other night it didn't seem to be moving much air. I also took the side of the case off so as to aid in the airflow, but it didn't seem to matter much. Like I said I know that the cpu temp is acceptable, but if it continues to run on the top side of acceptable I will burn it out, correct?
Thanx again for the quick responses.

BTW as far as extra processes, I always go into my task manager and end all but the most important processes. Heck I even end explorer and start the game out of the task manager.

Ok, here are the speccy numbers at idle and after the game. Like I said the idle temp is way to high. I know the after game isn't much higher, but it's at the high side.

SpeccyIdle.png

Speccyafewminutesafterbc2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom