Bios update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean W.

Fully Optimized
My brother told me every once in a while its good to check for a Bios update. i dont know where to start, i dont know what Bios version i have. or where to get a new one, or how to install the new Bios...

thanks for any help.

He is wrong. Unless you are having trouble, leave it as is. A BIOS update could corrupt your entire board if not careful.

when i go to change the buss speed of my processor, i can only increase it my 200 at a time... someone said i should be able to change it 1 at a time and a bios update might fix that.

Hi,

I strongly agree with MindoverMaster.

Unless you're experiencing problems, or your motherboard is missing a required feature, which a newer BIOS firmware version can provide, then don't bother with flashing your motherboard's BIOS to a newer version.

While for the majority, BIOS upgrades complete without any problems, its also just as easy for the flashing process to go wrong, and for you to end up with a kaput motherboard. I used to perform regular BIOS updates on a Compaq Desktop machine I once owned, and on three separate occasions, the flashing process went wrong and I had to send the motherboard off to Compaq for reflashing! :cry:. A very frustrating and inconvenient situation to be in. What's more, the same problem occurred on a HP notebook I used to own, and I had to send it in for repair. I think I've learnt my lesson now! :p

But for completeness, you can check which BIOS version you have by going into the BIOS, or by observing the POST screen, where the BIOS version is usually shown on screen (immediately after powering on the system). As for where to download the latest BIOS firmware version, then assuming the motherboard in question is the Asustek M4A79XTD EVO (as shown in your sig.), you can obtain the latest version, along with the AFUDOS BIOS update utility required to perform the BIOS update, at the following webpage:

http://support.asus.com/download –> Type 'M4A79XTD EVO' in the top-left search field then hit enter.

Looking at the list of BIOS updates for this motherboard, there isn't one which introduces finer control of your motherboard's bus speed. Unfortunately, it seems you're stuck with increments of 200.

For the general overall population I agree with MoM.

But for an Enthusiast, bios updates often offer noticeable Performance and Stability improvements. I've flashed my bios 10 times since I gotten this mobo. I never flash using a Windows based utility, I use a usb flash drive. I never flash during bad weather or when there is any possibility of losing power. I never flash with any type of overclocking applied.

With that said Flashing can render your mobo dead. I always find out what fixes are included with a bios flash. Say I have bios1 installed and bios2 is released with an update to the sleep function. I can skip bios2 and if bios3 has an improvement I want then when I flash to bios3 it also contains the update from bios2

CPU-Z will give you some bios information. It's not telling me a version number that matches but it is giving me the correct bios date that matches the version I'm using. You can also hit the pause key when the pc posts and is showing the cpu and memory info. At the bottom of the screen you should find the bios info.

If it ain't broke...you know the rest ;)

I don't think this applies here... Board with revision 1 BIOS works excellent, never gives you a problem, but find out revision 2 has some nice little updates, and can improve the performance, you're most likely going to "fix" it.

I've flashed my board about 20 times now, but there are only 7 or 8 BIOS revisions. I've used Windows based, and DOS based flash methods. I'm not going to recommend something to an average user that would most likely opt for a Windows based BIOS update, if I'm not sure if it will work well for it.

I can understand not wanting to used a windows based program to flash your bios, for the simple fact, it's WINDOWS based. :p There are so many ways you can really screw yourself, or others by flashing with windows based software. I prefer DOS bootables, but most average users don't feel comfortable with that.

Sean, if you read the updates on the BIOS', and find one that can improve performance/stability, update it, I suggest it. If you don't, and they're just random fixes, that don't necessarily pertain to you, don't worry about the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom