Assistance Building

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Yha a faster drive, but more money... 20 bucks on a $1000 build can cause issues with budget.

There's lots that can be switched, but as I don't know which state, he could have up to 90 bucks in tax.

I'm an xfx fan, so you could cheap there too, but I trust the brand. Thats the one "problem" when asking for suggestions..... You get everyones fanboy picks.

Yhza I have like no knowledge of RAM and mobos.

And I knew I forgot something... optical drive!

Black, the Platinums are 7-7-7-20. I thought that was faster than 8-8-8-24?

The tax on the build was $81 if in Cali. So if hes tax free, the 5830s a good update.

You are correct. I was looking at a different set with 9-9-9-20, that's my bad.

Someone who's a bitter more knowledgeable will have to chime in on whether or not the slower speed ram, with tighter timings, is faster/slower than the faster ram, with slower timings.

Just wondering, whats the difference between windows 7 OEM and a full retailed version?

They are the same software,for the most part, and the licensing is different :

OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

So, what if my motherboard fails? Get an RMA on that board.

What if it's out of RMA, and I have to buy a new/different model board? Some times, if you call up Microsoft to activate by phone, you can explain to them that your motherboard died out of warranty, and they'll let you activate it. Key words, some times...

I bought an eMachines desktop, with no intentions on upgrading it at all. Found a board for a great price, and jumped on it. Had to reinstall Windows do to some driver conflict, and could not activate it over the internet. Called them up, and told them I just upgraded the motherboard for no real reason, and they activated it for me. However, I do believe Microsoft has become more and more strict on this, so I'm not sure how well it works any more...

yea... that is a fugly case to say the least, but a case is personal prefrence and if thas what gets your juices flowing by all means go crazy ;)

Also, i live in california, Tigerdirect and Amazon have no tax and usually free shipping... so being a resident of California, thats where i buy all my technical needs from. i use Newegg to read reviews and look at parts and if i find a part i like i try to find that same part on Amazon and usually it will be a bit cheaper and no tax, which on a $700 graphics card, thats like $80 tax... screw that noise..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom