Core i7 build, need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bottom mounted PSU is a great thing, but only if you can mount it fan-side down so it can draw in fresh air. If the case doesn't have an inlet for it, make one. That will keep the PSU much cooler and more stable.

The same can be done for a top mounted PSU. Flip is fan side up and cut a blowhole for the intake. A nice simple mod that can make a nice difference in your power supply.

A bottom mounted PSU is a great thing, but only if you can mount it fan-side down so it can draw in fresh air. If the case doesn't have an inlet for it, make one. That will keep the PSU much cooler and more stable.

The same can be done for a top mounted PSU. Flip is fan side up and cut a blowhole for the intake. A nice simple mod that can make a nice difference in your power supply.

If I decided to cut a hole in the bottom for the PSU, would I need to make the hole the same size as the fan? Would I need to add a grill or a guard of some kind? I guess it would look better with a grill on it.

Here are the pics of my new build. Enjoy

That is the box that had all the parts in it. Just by looking at everything, nothing looks damaged.

I did have the hard drive mounted in front of the video card but it was just too close. The cables were hitting each other.

Does the cpu cooler brackets look like they are mounted correctly? Any suggestions on what to do with the 8 pin CPU power plug? It is not long enough too go on the backside with the rest of the cables and I don't think it will fit in between the mobo and the mobo holder .

I will probably eventually get some zip tie mounts for the backside. I tried to use electrical tape but it doesn't hold very well.

Looks right to me
You'll need to get an 8pin extension cord. I was lucky, one came with the PSU I bought :p

Also, may I suggest a different configuration for the blue sata cables? Instead of routing them to the top, pull then back over or underneath the hdd it's attached to, and rout it through the slits you can see in the last pic.

Honestly I don't know if they're made for that or not, but that's what I use them for lol
With the thicker sata cables you have to shimmy it in a little, but the thinner 'standard' cables go through just fine.

huh that 5870 looks a lot different than mine.. did they change the case of it, like officially?

its looking great man! keep us updated, its exciting to see something go from plans into an actual project...

take lots of pictures and keep us updated!

Looks right to me
You'll need to get an 8pin extension cord. I was lucky, one came with the PSU I bought :p

Also, may I suggest a different configuration for the blue sata cables? Instead of routing them to the top, pull then back over or underneath the hdd it's attached to, and rout it through the slits you can see in the last pic.

Do you mean take the cables out of the bottom hole I have them coming out of?

huh that 5870 looks a lot different than mine.. did they change the case of it, like officially?

well yea, you have a his, he's got an xfx.

they've been out for a while now so it's pretty common to see non-reference coolers from different manufacturers.

Well I just tried to put the sata cable through the little slot beside the hard drive cage and it would not fit. So that is not an option without doing some cutting.

Does anybody know what the deal is with the front audio port connection for the case? There is not a connection on the mobo that matches it. Is there no way to hook these up? It has a 10 pin minus the 8 pin connection.

EDIT: Thanks for all your help in putting this build together. Getting the parts picked out is probably the most difficult part of the whole thing, well for me anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom